Apple XServe

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Anyone ever played with XServes? I'm thinking of using 4 of them for clustered web/xml servers. Still have to run our DB off of Linux, because from what I read OS X Server sucks at teh relational database performance, and the DB we're using doesn't support OS X anyway.

Which is sort of shitty. The main feature that interests us is the easy remote monitoring and management that OS X Server provides, so that we can monitor all our XServe clusters all over the globe from a pretty, simple interface that is already built for us. XServes have like 35 internal sensors. And support for SNMP-3 is built in, so we can monitor both our Linux and OS X servers from a unified interface.

What I'm not clear on is if we can monitor our Linux SNMP-3 traps with the OS X Server monitoring tool. If we could, that would be great.

They have 3 drive slots, as opposed to two in most 1Us. They only have single power supplies, but oh well.

The other attractive thing is that OpenLDAP and Kerberos are already setup, and are easy to deploy and manage because of the nice front end they've built.

They're not too pricy, either.

Anyone have any experience with XServes?

2. diranged

diranged New Member

I havn't used the XServe boxes themselves, but I have a few mac Mini's with OSX Server 10.4 on it and its amazing... simply amazing. I run a datacenter with every OS imagineable and I have to deploy/kickstart/etc all of them, and OSX is simply the easiest one around. In fact, I just sent a Mac Mini with OSX Server out to my personal co-lo site and am moving my web and email servers off my old opteron box onto the mac mini..

3. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

If I wanted to put OSX server on my mini, would I need to buy the 10 client version?

4. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Could you made like a render farm with mac minis with osx server?

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

XGrid lets you do clustering, but I think you'd find that the XServe cluster machines are better suited.

6. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

The key word here is cheap.

Thanks for the info.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Right, the key word here is $s for performance. You might do better with the XServes. I guess if you were just doing 3-4 it might work well to do the Minis, as long as your rendering platform supports this.