Apple to drop sub-$500 Mac bomb at Expo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0412expo2.html

Picture of Apple's Xserve for reference.
    [​IMG]

2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

I hope so.

3. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

this rumor is as well grounded as all of the apple handheld and disney merger rumors of the past

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Well, it's easy, smart and very possible for Apple to do. True or not.

5. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

it's a move that they wouldn't stand to profit from. they don't do things in the name of marketshare and hope it will pan out one day in the future. if you get somebody to buy and iPod and then get them to buy a $500 computer (which apple will make very little from), it's not like they're going to splurge and buy a more expensive model some time soon...that (if it were to happen) would be a few years down the road and is a pretty significant gamble

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not to mention that anyone only interested in a crappy $500 system is likely going to be a support *nightmere*. I know what I'm talking about, too, because I build computers for a living. It's always the really cheap and really rich bastards that are the biggest pains to deal with. Just yesterday I had to deal with a moron that bought a $300 Sempron system with onboard video and he was bitchin about it's gaming performance. dumbass.

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I have an older (late 50's) friend that is about to replace his dead Mac Classic. This would be perfect for him. He just wants a new Mac to replace his dead Mac and all he plans to do with it is update his resume, keep a spreadsheet of his record collection, surf the web and check his e-mail.

He already knows his way around Macs. He'll have a few frustrations making the transition from System 9 to OS X, but I doubt he'd be a support nightmare and he's on a limited budget, so his only other alternative would be to buy a used Mac, which in Apple's case would mean no revenue from his purchase.

He also will be buying from The Apple Store and will be purchasing a printer, wireless mouse and some software if he decides to buy a new Mac. If he buys a used Mac, he'll probably just go to CompUSA or Fry's to buy his accessories and software, which would be additional opportunities for revenue/profit that would be lost by him not buying from the Apple Store if he decides he can't afford a new Mac at this time (since he's looking for a job right now).

I've already been to a local independent Apple VAR, CompUSA and The Apple Store with him. He was hesitant to pay $799 for an eMac but did say he'd be buying an AppleCare plan if he buys a new machine.

9. maczter

:x:

10. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I would be all for something like this, and would hope they continue in that direction. Anyone who thinks market share "isn't important" is a fool imo. They might be able to stay afloat in their little niche market, but why aim so low? Until linux becomes more non-geek-friendly, this is the best wintel alternative there is, and it's a damn good one too. But what is that worth if almost nobody uses it? I think they need to take as much market share as they can, as fast as they can, especially with linux speeding along to becoming a thread to both MS and Apple. Thing is, MS is big enough to not really worry about that. Apple isn't. (I'm sure plenty of apple fantatics would disagree with this)

They seriously need to spread their wings more, and become a meaningful presence in the computer industry again. And I don't mean meaningful to a couple little niche markets, but to the market as a whole. I still think they should screw the hardware and focus on their OS like MS did. The real money is in the software, after all. But they're probably too deeply rooted in the hardware to go back now. That means they not only have to compete in the os market, but also the hardware.

And, as has been demonstrated over the past many years, the biggest factor in this competition is price. Performance is usually secondary (except for rich bastards who can afford to throw that kind of money around). Performance isn't worth much when 90% of people can't justify the price for it, when for a lot cheaper they can get a lower quality dell, or even better, build their own. I personally much prefer the ability to build my own rather than getting something prebuilt and proprietary. I got my ibook because I wouldn't be building my own laptop anyway. But for a tower? I am VERY iffy about getting a desktop replacement mac. The fact that I'm even considering it at all speaks volume's about Apple quality and especially OS X. But it shouldn't have to be like that.

I'll admit those high prices put me off, despite my drooling over macs. Even with an education discount, it's more than I'm "comfortable" with. I'm used to buying parts, piece by piece, in low $$ incriments that are easier to afford, and I much prefer to intimately know and control what's in my rig.

I think I went off on a bit of a tangent there, but point is: Apple absolutely needs to "get out there" a lot more than they are and have been, if they want the non-niche world to be more open to them. And having less intimidating prices is a VERY important part of doing that, maybe the most important. I doubt I'd get this little $500 system myself, but I could see people like my best friend or my mom getting something like that. $500 still isn't cheap for us poor folks, but it is at least much more competetive with the windel alternatives, and that's what matters.

11. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

where did you get that pic?

12. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:x: :x: :x: :x:

no matter what way you look at it, the #1 complaint from would-be switchers is that Mac hardware is too expensive. If they had a cheap way to get into the platform, after playing with the iPod, iTMS, etc., I think they would do it.

In short, this is the crack that Apple needs to produce so people will get hooked on, IMO, the superior user experience.

13. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

true that they don't do things in the name of marketshare, but at the same time they certainly look for ways to increase their user base... I mean, look at the switchers campaign. If they had a box like this out when they ran those ads, I think they'd have more to show for it today. :dunno:

14. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

would it also mean new Apple LCD monitors that are cheaper?

15. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I doubt it. You would hope so, but one thing about apple is that they produce very high grade monitors. There's very little ways to cut costs on monitors without cutting costs on quality. Maybe they will put out a small and affordable 15" LCD or 17" CRT flat screen. :dunno: Or at least partner up with a company that will. I can guarantee that if they don't, there will be a bunch of companies willing to design one of their monitors to match this new iMac just so they can bring in some Apple sales.

16. maczter

i tend to agree. also, if they are targeted toward switchers, then many of those customers are not as picky about monitors and may be more likely to just grab the $100 monitor of the day at Fry's or whatever.

17. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

The Pizza Box is back! :noes:

18. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

:rofl:

19. Icedog

Icedog New Member

My first Macintosh was the Pizza Box Performa. That thing was 60Mhz and 8MB of RAM if I remember right.

20. diranged

diranged New Member

I'd buy one in a heartbeat... I have an Athlon64 3400+ Shuttle in my living room that is being wasted as a internet terminal. I'd much rather spend $500 on a simple-to-use Mac and put the shuttle in my office.

Not to mention, my parents would probably give in to Apple and put one in their living room if it was that cheap and small..

I think they're going after a great market -- the iPod buyers who want to try a Mac, but don't want to fork out over $1000 for one...

If that picture above is right, it'll match my 12" and 14" iBooks! :)

21. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

iBooks are white and soft grey, the rendering is silver encased in clear plastic. The only similarities are the Apple logo. It is more comparable to the Cubes or the G4 PowerMacs.

22. maczter

23. Brian

Brian New Member

this has been on 1.5 million news casts.

24. maczter

has now. even saw a mention of the rumors in the wall street journal online this morning.

25. maczter

it's official!

from maclevel.com's live keynote coverage (typos are theirs):

2 moddles (models): 1,25 ghz g4 $499 40 GB HD, and $599 80 GB HD, available on Jan22

headphone jackcomes with panther and ilife '05

Bring your won (own) Display Keyboard & mouse

usb2 firewire modem dvi ethernet

MAC MINI!