Apple Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 127.0.0.1, Oct 26, 2009.

1. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I am trying to control my office computers from my home computer. They are behind a router, have a single static external IP address, and static private IP addresses .

I have control of port forwarding and such, I can install anything on the computers, I just dont know where I need to start.

One thing I have found is that I need to install ARD onto one of the computers in the office, use that as the task server, and forward a port to that internal IP. Then from my computer computer, connect to that computer as the task server. Is that the general idea, or is there another way to do this.

I have read something about http://www.starklmc.com/ard.htm which explains this in great detail. But the page no longer works. Any ideas?

2. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

i would like to know this also.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

No thanks. I don't want some third party to have access to my machines.

4. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

yeah fuck that. and ARD does way more than a remote desktop client.

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I think ARD is primarily an in-network solution, however I could see using it externally then using screen sharing on one of the computers in the networking to connect to the others.

6. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

The company that currently manages the company uses ARD to remote connect to us. But they are unwilling to tell me how it works, they do not currently use port forwarding.

7. hurleyint1386

With out port forwarding, I don't know how they can get in to the network and control the computers. It has to go through the router somehow...

8. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I dont know if ARD broadcasts itself through the router or not. I am trying to get the current support company to explain to me how things work but no luck thus far.

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Now if I could just get Apple Remote Desktop to control my Windoze 7 machine.

10. robwormald

robwormald New Member

use ARD all the time and its awesome.

you need to set up port forwarding on the router - ports 3283 and 5900 are all you really need to set up. if you're using NAT (most consumer routers do) then it's likely you'll only be able to control one machine at a time - task server is only for stuff like pushing software updates and collecting logs, rather than remote control.

so - log into your router, look for port forwarding / firewall rules - you want to set TCP and UDP incoming connections on ports 3283 and 5900 to forward to the IP address of the machine you want to control. if your router doesn't support mac address based fwding then it's helpful to assign a static IP within the network to the client machine.

from the outside, connect to your WAN ip address, and if you've got port forwading setup then proeprly then the router will pass ARD traffic onto the client machine.

if you've got the option to setup multiple external WAN IP's then that allows you to connect to more than one machine. alternately, set up a VPN server on one machine - that way you can join your network and run ARD is if you were on the LAN, giving you control of all machines. you'll have to do the same sort of port forwarding for VPN access. this is how most businesses do it but it does require either a VPN server machine or a router that supports VPN connections.

ask away, i do this shit all day :o

11. robwormald

robwormald New Member

they are almost certainly using a VPN setup. it's impractical to set up external addresses and forwarding for more than a couple of machines.

set up one machine (hopefully your small biz has some sort of "server") to be a VPN server. once you connect to that through your router you can see all machines within the network. this is what it looks like set up through a VPN, which i think is what you're trying to accomplish
    [​IMG]
    edit : also from a security standpoint running with a VPN is far safer than having open RDP ports out on the interwebs.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  12. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

:bowdown: that would be great

13. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I only have one external IP address to port forward to. I have checked all of the computers and there isn't a VPN set up. I also have checked the router for VPN connections and it isn't there, and they also told me that they do not use one. I am thinking they have ARD set up as a daemon or service or something.

14. hurleyint1386

You wouldn't forward the port to an external IP address. You'll need a machine with a manual IP address so dhcp doesn't change on you then you use the router to forward to an internal IP address.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  16. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

17. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

18. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

19. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member