Apple Packaging: In-House?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JointBeaker, Mar 17, 2006.

1. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

Does anyone know...does Apple do most/all of their product packaging internally, or do they outsource their work to design firms?

I absolutely love opening a new package knowing that the experience will be just a new beginning for a new product I'll surely get my fair use out of. :) As a packaging student about to graduate in a few short months, I've got a few reasons to ask this question. :hsd:

Thanks, Mac Shack. :noes:

2. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I'm interested to know as well. My guess is no?

3. robwormald

robwormald New Member

its done in house

4. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

From a Wired article:

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

you're a packaging student? people actually go to school to learn how to properly pack a package?

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I did order picking and shipping for a computer company when I was 15. We had a chemical foam gun that you used with plastic to instantly form foam protection for PCs and monitors. You always used it with plastic on both sides.

One time I didn't do that. I sprayed some in the box as a bottom layer, put some hard drives on top of that, and then peanutted the rest. By the time the drives arrived they were soaking wet with condensation. I got in big trouble and wasn't allowed to ship stuff anymore.

So, there is something to packaging :big grin:

7. JointBeaker

If you think about it, what exactly do you buy, that DOESN'T come in some sort of package? :hs:

The industry is there, it just gets taken for granted...There's a LOT of money in the industry, as evident by the internship $ figures our school puts out each semester. :wiggle:

Michigan State, Clemson, RIT, Indiana State, Cal-Poly, San Jose State, and UF Gainsville are a few competitors to my school.

I'm graduating in May, and wouldn't mind having a job come that time. :hsd:

8. JointBeaker

peanutted :mamoru: :mamoru: :mamoru:

9. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Apply at Apple!

Apple is mostly in house now, but like just about any major company, they still outsource from time to time. Steve really prefers inhouse and likes to get all the sources that create a product in the same meetings. He feels that the communication that comes from these types of meetings helps create a better product and user experience and I completely aggree and that is the method of my madness in my new job. I'm taking steps to bring up communication between all the creative sides and just in the last 2 weeks I have gotten a lot of positive feedback about how excited the different parties are to do their job now. ;)

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Apple is their design team. They are a company defined by their design team. Production is done in Taiwan, and could be done anywhere. The design team is the company.

11. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Can somebody plesae explain what exactly is so cool about apples packaging?

I've opened many different apple products, like an ibook, few ipods, powerbook, etc and it all seems the same old shit.

With the ipods, it has an outer box, you open it and then theres the little thing that says "designed in california" and then everything else is just crammed in the box in different ways.

the laptops are the same... you open it, it has a piece of cardboard or w/e that says designed in cali, then it has all the shit in the bottom of it. Whats so magnificent?

Not trying to bash anybody, just wanna know :hs:

12. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Have you ever bought a non-apple product? The difference is immediate.

13. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

get a G5 or a ACD, you'll see the difference. the main thing you'll notice is that they take pride in making sure everything looks good, even down to the packaging itself.