Apple is offering a free replacement to all customers affected by faulty nanos.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Apple has acknowledged an LCD manufacturing flaw in its newest digital music player, the iPod nano. The company has confirmed reports that the device suffered from "unexpected failures" in its color screen, and has offered a free replacement to all customers affected by faulty nanos.

"This is a real but minor issue involving a vendor quality problem in a small number of units," Apple said. "Our figures show this issue has affected less than 1/10 of 1 per cent of the total iPod nano units that we've shipped. It is not a design issue."

There have also been complaints from some nano owners about the screens scratching easily. Apple stated that the iPod nano is made with the same high-quality polycarbonate plastic as the fourth-generation iPod.

"A few vocal customers are saying that their iPod nano is more susceptible to scratching than prior iPods. We have received very few calls from customers reporting this problem, and do not believe this is a widespread issue. We suggest concerned customers use one of the iPod nano cases that are coming to market to protect the music player."

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=12741

2. Inferno

Inferno New Member

My buddy just bought a black nano so it was the first time I held it and its small :eek3:

I love how its so nice and sleek and the color screen is great but it feels so cheap for some reason, its like all plastic. If only it were made like the mini it'd own.

3. CD Silver_FOCI

CD Silver_FOCI Member

I have a different problem with mine.

Is anyone having battery issues with their nano? I'm averaging about 6-8 hours of continuous play, where as my friend is getting about 12-14 hours on his.

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Call Applecare.

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

What is the bitrate of the encoded songs you put on it?

6. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

A small light product will break easier. The nano is 3x thinner, 1/3 narrower, and 1/2" shorter. Not many products get smaller but stronger or even stay the same strength.

7. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

That's not necessarily true. Lighter products will carry less momentum when they are dropped or banged against objects, so they won't hit as hard.

You are better off dropping a Nano on the ground than an iPod.

8. It contains no moving parts, as opposed the the hard drive players. No rattling or dismounting. Also, the steel back comprises a greater percentage of the unit's thickness, so it would break less easily.

9. That's only if the objects are the same size and shape, but different weight. The iPod Nano is smaller, so less air resistance. And you aren't hitting terminal velocity by dropping it from 3 meters.

10. TurboDerek

what about sitting on the nano or putting it in a backpack pocket and smashing it? will it being lighter help there?

11. It's thinner, so less volumetric compensation required to relieve pressure from the device. Though for just that reason, I don't think it would fare better in a crush test.

12. TurboDerek

You're trying to hard to sound smart.

13. And the inverse is true for you?

14. Devoidarex

Since when is air resistance going to be important for a small, smooth object dropped from a height generally no higher than the shoulder?

I'd be willing to bet a Nano and an iPod dropped from the same height would hit the ground at essentially the same time/velocity.

15. I just said that.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

But the nano would have less momentum because it is lighter. And would therefore be less likely to be subjected to 'bust my shit open' levels of force. But the plastic is different, more easily scratched and more easily broken.

Air resistance has no role here. It can be completely ignored, and its introduction into this conversation is a pure thermism.

:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005

17. For small objects over small distances, air resistance is immaterial. As is momentum unless you're breaking something else using the iPod.

Though they would fall at the same rate, the large iPod includes more breakable parts.

18. CD Silver_FOCI

CD Silver_FOCI Member

Thanks!

The apple guy told me to reset my Ipod...now I am getting about 10 hours out of it. :bigthumb:

19. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

:cool: Glad they helped. I called them yesterday to get the click lockup issue fixed on my new PowerMac. I also told them that I was having an issue with my PowerMac going to sleep and not waking up... I just never said that the second issue was happening on my PowerMac at home that is out of warranty. :mamoru: He walked me through fixing both issues tho. Cake. :cool:

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Momentum determines force exerted on the floor. The floor pushes BACK just as much as the pod pushes on the floor. So momentum is not only material, it is the most important factor... Mr. Wizard ;)

21. If the case designs were not scaled, aye. The standard iPod is larger, so it is made of proportionately thicker and stronger materials. This does not, however, save its innards from damage in a fall.

22. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

What steps did you take to fix it?

23. CD Silver_FOCI

CD Silver_FOCI Member

The battery issue came back on my nano :mad:....took it back to Bestbuy and exchanged it for a new one. Now I am getting a good 12 hours of continuous play time with my new Nano :bigthumb:.

24. Devoidarex

The heavier innards of the iPod (carrying their greater momentum) will decelerate with greater violence, leading to more broken parts in an iPod than in a Nano, dropped from the same height.