Apple + Intel = ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Battousai, May 31, 2005.

1. Battousai

Battousai New Member

This was a good read...seems it will or might be in the keynote comming out...was thinking of putting it in there, but this is really a seperate thing.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939886,00.asp

I think this is a good move...can do alot with that now...and really the new IBM Cell isnt all too good since apple would have to recode the whole platform. With intel minor changes would be needed instead of the whole platform.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its just a matter of rewriting the kernel to accomodate the cells. Linux cell servers were demo'd at E3. MACH Unix runs on several hardware platforms already... I think this is hype. I expect to see Apple taking advantage of IBM cell shits. But I hope its not just rumor. I'd like to see OS X on intel hardware.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Okay, now I remember why I quit reading PC Magazine when I was 15. They are fucking idiots. This will NEVER happen.

Programming for Cell Processors is a bit harder than programming for traditional processors... but the switch for Mac would be the same. This is bullshit.

4. bikehorn

bikehorn New Member

i don't think it will happen, because half of the appeal is in the hardware itself. i don't enjoy dorked up PC towers with windows and a billion LEDs and colc cathodes in there.

Besides, Apple is smokin' it with IBM's processors, so why kill something in its infancy, when the G5 series is just taking off? we still have to wait for them to G5-ify the Powerbook, eMac and iBook...i doubt there'll be a G5 mini for a long-assed time.

i remember reading an article that was linked on Xbox-Scene a while back, as they made it a point to track the progress of the PS3 and Nintendo Revolution as well as Xbox 360. In it, the auther basically described the Cell processor, how it works, it uses, etc etc etc. he made a really interesting point in that the Cell could easily be adapted for the Apple platform...without having to make it the primary CPU. just a co-processor type deal, and if i remember correctly, the Cell is designed the be used alone or you can scale it up to practically any reasonable number of Cells together you want.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Mac could retain its proprietary hardware and still use dual Intels. Just a matter of the boards.

And its precisely BECAUSE we are still waiting for them to G5 the iBook, Powerbook, etc. that they might want to switch. G5's are too fucking hot right now for Apple's fanless form-factors.

Actually, the processor that manages the Cells on an IBM cell processor is essentially a... G5. ;)

6. elcano

elcano Guest

ahh. That article is more than 2 years old.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

werd. It's a nice concept, but Dvorak was obviously wrong... if at least by half a decade :mamoru:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That's up to the person taht builds it. That's what makes the PC archecture so great -- you personalize it to YOUR desires. Personally, I hate the "ricer" crap, and I wouldn't stand for it. If you love the mac-look, then why not a LianLi V1200?
    [​IMG]

You will probably *never* see a G5 PowerBook... Not without some MAJOR work to both the chip and the notebook itself. The reason is simple: heat. The G5 is a nuclear reactor ready to go critical. It's actually be an issue for them in desktop form, so there's no-doubt that's the cause for lack of a notebook version.

Not really that remarkable.... Many high-end equipment is built like this. (think IBM, Cray, SGI, Sun, etc)

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

In IBM's cell technology... a G5 directs operations to the cells. Just like you mentioned. Its already done. Cells are coprocessors for Mac processors.

I posted a more recent article about this a few days ago.

Last edited: May 31, 2005