Apple has really disappointed me...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RedGoober4Life, Sep 27, 2006.

1. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

OSX updated and this is what I got upon restarting:

[​IMG]

Apparently the update + certain macbooks = this. Take out the battery, hold down the power button, reinsert the battery and it is fixed. However, this is something I expected of Microsoft Windows, not OSX. Ah well, it could be worse. I could have to send it in for service for a third time. :)

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

:eek3: that isn't cool. this is the first mac i have ran, and there were a few crashes i did'nt expect. mind you, they were usually from non apple software. i haven't had problems with my macbook. thankfully for you, there was an easy fix.

3. RedGoober4Life

To their credit I was not on hold for more than 30 seconds. It was really quick.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

it looks prettier than the blue screen of death. :bigok:

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

:mamoru:

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So much for Macs "just working".

I swear the more people I talk to the more I'm convinced that macs aren't a bullet proof as many people want to believe.

7. RedGoober4Life

Nope. Not at all. This isn't a huge problem. It's certainly annoying, but it has an easy fix.

I hope they update OSX quickly so I'm not stuck doing this everytime I turn the computer on.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Macs do "just work." All computers break. Macs less often than others. :hsugh:

9. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

lol, I like how you see a few reports of problems and suddenly "omg os x isn't better than xp at all, it's actually just as error laden!"

I have used both os x and xp equally, I can tell you myself if you're talking stability and usability, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

10. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

i was on hold for over an hour when my ram caused my macbook to crash

11. slfmade

slfmade New Member

everytime i turn on my new macbook pro after updating it, it looks like this

[​IMG]

12. Coottie

Ok...so your experience is different then the people I'm talking to and the articles I'm reading. Doesn't mean you are right and I'm wrong....and it's not just a few reports. I haven't kept a tally but there's all sorts of issues.

Sure all computers are complex devices and all computers break but when you listen to the all sorts of ppl repeating the company mantra....they just work....then you begin to believe it. However, I'm not in love with them like a lot of people and perhaps that makes me more objective in my views. From what I've seen/heard, they aren't nearly as trouble free as the preachers of mac love would like me to believe.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You're kind of a tard. The vast majority of people never have problems with their macs. Look on the internet, and you can find lots who have. They did... sell millions of them, you know.

14. Coottie

WTF? Don't get all hurt just because I'm sharing my honest opinion based on my findings. Guess contrary points of view aren't welcome here....lame.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No, they are. And I'm not hurt. But your reasoning is stupid. I regularly lambast the mac fans in here for worshipping Apple.

16. Coottie

how is my reasoning "stupid"?

17. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

well namely, because you have no way of quantifying your personal observations of OS X issues against the total number of Macs, and/or the equivalent percentage of OS-based issues on other computing environments.

Basically.

18. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

^also, it's a logical fallacy to assume a large number of problems for a certain platform based on your observations, since people tend to complain only when things aren't working. Add Apple's comparatively small marketshare to that (i.e. small sample size) and those observations become even less credible. :dunno:

19. TFunkadelic

Exactly. Check out PC Magazine any time they issue their quality/service reports, and see that apple is ALWAYS on top of the list in every catagory that they offer a product. When yo usell millions of a product, you will definitely end up with some lemons. However, by number of products sold (according to pc magazines data) apple has the lowest percentage of problem machines.

20. Coottie

Your point works both ways.

You are not able to extrapolate your experiences to the population as a whole either.

21. Coottie

I'm gathering data and making observations about that data. When I hear the hype and the praise for the Apple, then start asking questions and looking around, things seem far less rosie then the hype surrounding them. I have no desire to carry out a statistically sound survey.

The small size of Apple's market share actually works to support my arguments MORE than it supports the positive spin of Apple. If you think about it, if Apple were really living up to the hype, there would be far fewer issues being reported.

22. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Well, I'll tell you what I see........

I see the Powerbooks and Ibooks are solid as a freaking vault.

I see the new macbooks need some work in R&D to be as dependable.

IMO if you want a rock solid system you buy a Powerbook and give MAC a year to work the kinks out of the new books. Then sell the PB and upgrade.

The intel mac's are doing exactly what I said they'd do the day they were released. I feared the conflicts and stayed with my 17" PB until they got them hammered out..... only problem is I expected them to be worked out by NOW. So I say wait a full year then buy a macbook if the intel macs do not prove to be the problem within themselves. .

23. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

they have to work out the bugs sometime...i'm sure they rushed to get the mbp on the shelves and now they are rushing updates. it's bound to happen

could have been much worse

24. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

anyone having random shut downs on their macbook? i swear, i had it for 3 months now and only this week has it randomly shut down daily.. usually within 5 minutes of powering it on / waking from sleep..

seems common when searching online and i think i may have to bring it in :wtc:

25. TFunkadelic

Umm, I'm pretty sure you didn't address my post at all, which is actually statistically based.