Apple Genius Bar...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Matt550, May 8, 2009.

1. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

My Macbook is 6 months past the warranty and they replaced my cracked case for free. Took it in today and said " I know its past the warranty but is there anything you can do" he said "sure i'll replace it for free, you had to wait and extra 20 minutes and we are running behind. I'll do it for free" I must have had this look on my face :eek3: I have heard plenty of these type of stories but never thought it would happen to me :bowdown: and they replaced it while I waited :bowdown:

2. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Yeah, it's a common issue with them, so they do them even out of warranty. They're always willing to try and help.

3. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I knew it was a common issue. I read stories of them fixing it and not fixing it :dunno:

4. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

A lot of mfgrs won't replace their items if they are out of warranty...even if it was a known issue.

5. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

They wont fix my fried graphics card (which is under warranty) unless i pay 400.00 to have my dented case repaired. Bull shit!

6. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

they've done this multiple times with my casing, it's great :bowdown:

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

It's all about who you get, how you present yourself, and what they're willing to do.

Hell, my G5 has been out of applecare for a year now and when I took it in to be looked at when it started going to sleep on its own, they told me that CPU cooler leaked and was empty and since it was a known issue they'd replace it. But they also replaced the entire case, both processors, the logic board and fans "just incase". total bill was $0.00. The processors were priced at $350-400 each.

Apple takes care of their customers.

8. Fidel Castro

What the hell! I argued with customer service for 45 minutes today trying to get a new case. Or at least a discount considering they want 433.00 to put a new case on in order to fix my graphics card! I was nice at the store too!

9. Blair

Blair New Member

1. replace the case yourself
    2. send it in
    3. ???
    4. Profit

10. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my white macbook has a cracked wristrest on the right side. both pieces of plastic are cracked
    its still under applecare till august, but i have a feeling they will not honor it, i usually have luck like that

11. Fidel Castro

Where can I get a decently priced case? I searched and they were all over 200 bucks.

12. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

Thats what happened to mine. My warranty expired in January, they fixed it.

13. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

They will replace it.

14. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

time to go to a new store...

15. Fidel Castro

I argued with 1-800 APLCARE for 45 mins. I wrote a letter to the better business bureau on Friday. Waiting to see where that gets me. :o

16. hurleyint1386

How bad is the dent? It must be fairly large...

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i just got back from the apple store, they replaced my cracked white macbook wristrest. when i dropped it off, the girl next to me had her wristrest cracked on both sides, but she was unhappy because she couldn't figure out how to sync her ipod....

i hate the feeling of a brand new touchpad...my old one was smoothed down from all the use, this new one has a slight texture. the keyboard seems slightly louder, like something is vibrating when i type around the E and D keys. whatever, i'm fine with it

18. hurleyint1386

Look for the Marware trackpad film. I like it a lot on my MacBook Pro. It has almost the exact same feeling as one of the glass trackpads.

19. Fidel Castro

I have a larger dent in my truck, and the estimate to have that fixed is less than the laptop...

20. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

When I identify myself as a life long PC owner recently turned mac owner, they seem to really go the extra distance to make my experience pretty solid.

I also notice (and this is for any electronics retailer) that you need to scout out the good locations who are generous about some of these claims. A successful location with satisfied employees are much more likely to help you. Locations who are doing less than average face a tough situation. With success comes the ability to "go the extra mile" for customer satisfaction and, in turn, retention. And less successful locations need to turn out the extra revenue from repairs/service and sales-- not giving them free reign to do you any small or big "favors".

Additionally, a little strategy I've used is to approach 2 employees who are just shooting the shit and asking them if they can do a certain thing for you. Often times they sort of riff off each other to figure out the best way to help you.

Only at BestBuy do floor employees really not give a shit about you (in my experience). When asking a question about a hard drive that I was about to purchase, they both sort of mocked me together instead of answering a VERY simple question (for them at least) that I just wanted to clarify.

Needless to say when I left the store empty handed I made a comment to customer service that the employees made them lose a sale to an online retailer because they don't know shit and are too busy talking about girls they'll never talk to instead of assisting customers.

Last edited: May 23, 2009