Apple Certification...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Mar 14, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I just got a call about a job being a field technician for a few different school districts in the metro Detroit area. She was only the in house recruiter, but she seemed to emphasize taking apart and putting together Apple computers, laptops included.

I've been in the IT field, mainly a technician, for almost nine years now. I'm very comfortable with PCs and Windows, and I've been an Apple convert for almost four years now. So I know my way around OS X and troubleshooting it. I don't have much experience inside them though. I'm sure it's not much different than a PC, and with my experience I could figure things out as I go.

But I'm thinking about getting Apple Certified. Anyone have the Apple Cert? How exactly does it work and how do I find out more information about it?

2. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

In for an answer as well.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

When I worked for another company we convinced them to pay for the training since we dealt with like one Mac a week between about 10 of us. You goto an Apple authorized training center for a several day training and then take a test.

http://training.apple.com/certification/

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

Ugh, she wants me to write a paragraph about what I know about taking Apple computers apart and fixing them.

To be honest, I've never done it aside from installing memory on my PowerBooks. WTF am I supposed to say? How much different can it be from taking apart a PC? This doesn't make sense.

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

They are a lot more difficult to take apart then a PC in general I'd say. Hell, the original iBooks required you take EVERYTHING apart just to get to the hard drive (we're talking at least 20-30 screws and stand-offs, removing the Airport and modem card, etc). The desktops are pretty similar to a PC but it seems since the form factor of Mac laptops are smaller then most PCs (at least thinner) they have to pack things in there in a way that means you really have to take a lot apart to get to everything. I'd show you some of the Apple Service Sources to show you what you'd be looking at but can't give that kinda stuff out (you may be able to find some around online). The new MacBooks and MacBook Pros have made things easier in the way of installing RAM and hard drives so you may want to look at the PowerBook line and iBooks.

6. Euclid

Euclid New Member

:werd:

If you have any experience taking apart cell phones or something else tricky, you might want to talk about that. It's very tedious and delicate work from what I've heard.

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

tell her you've successfully taken apart / reassembled an eMate :p anyone who knows about that machine will be impressed

8. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

I've heard from a co-worker that Apple has you recertify every year.

9. verbal

verbal Active Member

She wanted a cover letter explaining how my experience will help me. I was honest in the letter and made it known that I'm comfortable taking apart laptops. Also mentioned that I'm looking into the apple cert and will get it if they want me to.

I have an interview at 11am on Monday. Wish me luck.

10. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

Good luck!!! Maybe between now and then, take your Mac apart. Or if you don't want to do that, see if you can score a cheap or free old or broken one - Craig's List, freecycle, classifieds, etc.

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

HA! Make sure you properly discharge the CRT. :rofl:

Best of luck man. Hope you get the job. Lacking the knowledge on how to take-apart Macs shouldn't keep you from any job as long as you know laptop repair in general. It's definitely something you should be able to learn after getting the position and shouldn't be an issue once you get to break one open and see what it's all about. Hope it works out for ya. :x:

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

emate has an lcd. i think you have it confused with an emac
    [​IMG]

13. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

HA! Ooops, I totally read it as eMac. :rofl: My dad had an eMate. We also had a Macintosh Portable. There was nothing portable about that 15lb monster that had to be plugged in. More like the Macintosh Luggable. Tell them you've repaired one of those.

14. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

The one I bought had the hinges break within the first day of use, had to do the dreaded hinge repair. Just taking that thing apart actually requires a soldering iron, and even that's easy compared to re-machining the hinge springs by hand. Oh also, there's about a 2/3 chance that when your hinge spring slips off, it'll sever the ribbon that connects the LCD to the motherboard. :wtf: I guess I just got lucky on that part...

15. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

I have my 10.4 cert and my desktop hardware cert, it's been damn near 6 months and my company just got their GSX account setup so I can actually order my own shit too...

I'll probably go for my 10.5 cert and the newly combined desktop/laptop cert... maybe the server cert just to have it.

And the guy above that said you have to renew them every year, yes the hardware certs do have to be renewed.

I'm self taught by using the PeachPit books, the tests were not really hard but it was definitely a "do things in the order Apple wants you to" so you could pass.

16. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

more info on this + costs involved? I have thought about this on a few occasions before but didn't really know who / where to ask. :cool:

17. verbal

verbal Active Member

Thanks. I totally agree. Every laptop is totally different. Each require disassembly in a certain order to get at specific parts. And I think service manuals should be available for laptops. I said this in different words in my cover letter.

18. verbal

verbal Active Member

This thread makes me hope Apple comes out with laptop convertible tablet. Would be so badass. :)

19. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

when I was still at UCLA once long ago, I saw adults coming to class on a saturday and asked what the class is. some dude said it was a class on Apple Certification (Tech Repair). I walked in, the guy teaching the class never even asked who I was.

Long story short, Apple Certification is a little demanding but worth it. All the shit they taught that day made me feel dumb though.

20. XxvODvxX

XxvODvxX New Member

I currently have a certification for PC systems hard and software. Compared to PC and Windows related issues how hard was it for some of you guys to learn apple. I would really like to get a cert for apple but life on your own does not make for excess cash on hand.

Also, How'd the interview go? Good luck if i catch you before hand. Tech jobs are hard to come by. Well atleast in NJ.

21. verbal

verbal Active Member

Interview went well. They said they're interviewing two more people for the position. He said that the only hesitation he has is that I'm not Apple, Dell, and HP certified. He stressed that he needed me to be so he doesn't get in trouble. I expressed a few times that I have no problem getting those certs.

He said if they chose me that they would start me at a lower pay rate and give me 30 - 60 days to get the certs. Then I'd get pushed to the normal pay rate.

I'm just hoping I'm the best candidate out of the three. Even without my certs. I expressed that I'm very comfortable taking apart laptops and printers.

Hopefully I'll get the call. We'll see. :x: