Apple + cable TV questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [DWI], Oct 19, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

So I've been looking into maybe setting up my MBP to watch some TV on it, maybe record some show that kind of fun stuff.

So the quick basics I have comcast digital cable. with comcast you can get one free cableCARD (the little gismo that decrypts the digital cable for you.)

Anyways I found this system

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_hdhomerun

pretty close to perfect, except that it doesn't do encrypted digital cable and the cableCARD it only does QAM (which is non-encrypted)

They have other products that would allow me to get the analogue signal that all my non-digital TVs can get, however I would prefer to get the digital variant for the extra channels and the like.

It seems that ATI has come out with a digital cable box for PCs that uses the cableCARD. This little gizmo.

http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonderdigital/index.html

but its only for Vista and I don't want to have to buy vista for my old unstable windows box to do something like this.

In addition to running in on the Computers I may at some later date with to be able to keep recordings and stream them to an Apple TV or something of that nature.

Anyways anyone know of anything like that currently released or rumored to be in development?

anything to guide my research would be great.

Also throw anything out there that would work with an apple and analogue cable, it may be my only option really and I might be willing to settle.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

CableCARD is some bad fucking news right now. Basically the cable companies have no intention of seeing it get adopted, and the FCC has no intention of forcing them to do it.

Here's an example: that ATi system you posted? You can't buy it separate... you actually need to buy it with a new PC, not just with Vista. Here's what Ars Technica had to say about it:

Actually, reading that whole article will probably just piss you off about CableCARD, but it's a very informative read. Essentially, though, I don't know if there exists a solution that you're looking for, because of bullshit DRM and other crap relating to CableCARD. If you want to view encrypted streams on your computer, you are pretty much SOL. Makes you want to torrent, doesn't it :p

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

technically the standard went into use in July of this year, comcast did try in court to stop it and it failed. comcast's own website states you can get one for free

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?ID=2651

But yeah the DRM is an issue, I believe that some of the online watch a movies from your computer sites won't serve apples because of some issues there are I really don't see it getting included in the next version of the OS.