A&P Apple Aperture

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by El Chupacabras, Sep 6, 2006.

1. El Chupacabras

El Chupacabras Blue and Gold Member

I'm basically just wondering what you guys think of Aperture (by Apple). I've used Photoshop CS1 and CS2 quite a bit, and I know my way around photoshop. I only have CS1 now, but I took a editing class that used CS2. Anyway, I'm going from using a PC computer to using an apple powerbook pro. Im wondering if I should try and get photoshop on my new laptop or get aperture. Either way, I'm going to have to buy aperture or find my friends Photoshop CS cd.

I sortof understand that aperture is more about editing in raw, but it seems like its more limited than photoshop which can also edit raw. I have a Nikon D70s and edit my photos in raw, but not exclusively in raw.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Dont expect it to be the same as photoshop, although the adjustments are similar it is a very different program.

Aperture is pretty damn good for organising your photos and retouching them too, one advantage is that its so easy to work with raw files you'll almost never need to use jpg ;)

I use it for all my photography however I still need photoshop to do more advanced 'image editing' rather than 'photo editing'. For example merging images, using masks for selective effects etc. It does export directly to other applications (such as ps) quite well too.

Watch these movies (there are more below)
    http://www.apple.com/aperture/quicktours/

3. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

I still haven't checked it out because everybody cries about it being slow. I usually don't jump on the bandwagon of an original release of anything though. Once it's been out there for a while and gone through a few revisions, then I'll check it out. Besides, CS2 does everything I need it to.

4. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Another alternative is LightCrafts from LightZone. I haven't tried it either.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yeh its a bit slow, you'll want 1 gig ram min. Im using it on a 1.67 G4 and its a little slow for imports and exports but editing images is fine.

Although with the core duos should be good, i'll have to try it on my 20" imac.

6. Blair

Blair New Member

i think i am going to go ahead and buy it. i was using lightroom but have moved away from that software since it is a beta and not very smooth to edit in.

7. El Chupacabras

El Chupacabras Blue and Gold Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I did watch a couple of the videos before I first posted and I kinda got the feeling that it would be unfair to compare the two considering they dont both do all the same things. Im just worried I wont be able to get a copy of CS1 or CS2 onto my new computer. If I cant, im not going to be able to afford the program for a while. I realize im much more into those advanced IMAGE editing aspects than PHOTO editing, and it sounds like aperture wont be able to fulfill all my needs :hs: