Apple and HP to launch LED based notebooks in 2nd quarter of 2007

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chadder007, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

LED = FTW! :bowdown:
    http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20070103PD210.html

2. alptekin

alptekin New Member

buy stock in leds. ha

3. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

Its going to be so hard for me to wait for this....but i must. :noes:

4. KuntryFresh

KuntryFresh Midwest

does it really matter ?

5. KuntryFresh

KuntryFresh Midwest

getting excited over this is getting kid of geeky
    plus its impossible to keep up with apple anyways always coming out with better stuff

6. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Since I own an led based company, I'm both excited and worried. The led's will function so efficiently that if the battery technology keeps improving while the efficiency of the led backlight is working the books will get to where they can run for a solid day wide open.

Now, the problem with this great news is that they will likely not run any longer no matter what battery wise because the processors will keep getting hotter and hotter and the extra juice will be eaten there rather than extending life.

The next issue is that while led's can function for 80,000 hours if properly manufactured and designed into circuits, Led's are generally not so strictly regulated in quality control and people tend to push them to the limits without realizing they are VERY VERY sensitive. Any issue that causes a voltage spike or surge can harm the led's. Just something like plugging the laptop in can create a surge that a de-bouncing buffered circuit cannot always help.

So between quality control and high powered sensitive led's there's going to be a lot of just plain shit hit the market to begin with until they work with the design for a while to keep the led's from having issues. Mark my words.

I've had to redesign several circuits in my patents for my company because of constantly niggling issues from voltage fluctuations that you cannot control since the environment is constantly changing around the led's and wildly variable due to alternator regulators in vehicles not being perfectly stable.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

kinda sucks for someone who bought a macbook recently...like me

but i still love my macbook, :dimsdisplaytosavebatterylife:

8. ady

ady New Member

It's not just the LED's to get excited over though, Apple will only replace the current line when the time is right for one major overhaul. Which should mean use of the Santa Rosa platform and better GPUs for both pro and non pro models. Other options like 4GB of RAM (for god knows how much $) and better hard drives should be around too. And don't forget Leopard and iLife 07 pre-installed. The next gen of Apple notebooks are something to look forward to as a buyer.

9. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I would get excited about quad-core, 512 video cards, 250 gb hd and 4 gb of ram.

10. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Oh, and a 20-inch screen. [​IMG]

11. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

so the panel is still LCD, but the backlighting is LED? is that right? if so, :hsugh:

12. ady

ady New Member

"While pricer than CCFLs, LED technology is more efficient at distributing lighting evenly across the entire display surface and offers an increase in color saturation. According to a white paper from Cree, a backlight solutions provider expected to provide its LED technology to Apple, LED-based backlights also consume less power, run cooler, and last longer than CCFLs."

Not really something to hsugh at.

13. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

i'm all for the advancement of technology, but this is just meh..

more vivid colors? :hsugh: the colors are plenty vivid on my macbook
    evenly distributed light? :hsugh: I don't see how it can be more evenly distributed than it already is
    increase color saturation :dunno:

the only thing that really gets my panties in a bunch is the added battery life, but even that won't be that noticeable IMO.

14. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

I'll go gaga and be pissed at the same time :mamoru:

15. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

This looks like it is something that will make me sell my current Macbook Pro and buy a new one :bowdown:

16. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I'm pretty sure every time there has ever been an update of any type, there are the people who say, "but do you even really need a computer that fast?" or "I could NEVER fill a hard drive that big" but give it a little bit of time, and everyone always comes around. I'm willing ot bet once they're released and they're the prettiest displays you've ever seen you'll change your mind. You can only tell yourself your hardware is up to date/top of the line for so long....