apple and all this game stuff.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, May 12, 2009.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

I'm thinking that the new iPhone will have the power to be a serious gaming platform, and here's why.
    as far as i remember, the timeline went like this:

(1) around the launch of the iphone, steve jobs goes around evangelizing the iPhone as a serious gaming platform.
    http://www.macblogz.com/2009/02/23/apple-sr-product-manager-talks-about-iphone-gaming-and-app-store/
    http://toucharcade.com/2008/11/12/steve-jobs-iphone-and-ipod-as-mobile-gaming-devices/

(2) the *first gen* iphone has enough graphics power to run games better than the DS Lite.

(3) the iphone has tons of games from indie developers, some games from major developers, and great ports of old games (myst, wolfenstein 3D)

(4) then Apple starts hiring big gaming people
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple_raids_microsofts_xbox_team_gaming_executive/

(5) apple starts hiring people who do graphics chips
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...s-its-mysterious-chip-plans-with-new-hire.ars
    http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217200272&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS

(6) iPhone 3.0 has support for 3rd-party hardware. GAME CONTROLLERS.

some people think apple will release a game console. i'm gonna say no, since game consoles are typically loss leader products, and who the hell wants to try to take on the xbox? the wii?

i think this is most likely a new iphone with beefier gaming hardware. if so, i'm not going to get the new PSP that they're announcing at e3.

:)

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

To be honest, as an iPod touch 2G owner, I have to say that a lot of the games are pretty gimmicky for the iPhone, and either use the motion controls or multi-touch in some way. Rolando, Katamari, SimCity... all have something to do with that. It's better suited for casual games. I've yet to see anything that's actually impressed me, game-wise on this platform.

I'd rather have a PSP.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. gui3

well, they're gimmicky now, but the platform is only 2 years old.

you can see apple talking to the major studios - they have a large install base of people who like nostalgic games and are total impulse buyers, and an established digital-download store that doesn't require wifi (like the PSP's will). tell them to make little controllers with dual analog and you have your psp

4. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

I think the screen is too small to become a serious gaming platform...of course, an adapter for tv/monitor use would take care of that.

5. gui3

that size screen, and smaller, worked incredibly well for Nintendo in its various forms. and, it *is* already a gaming platform that has good games, some by serious publishers.

i think it's not going to be about screen *size*, but rather screen *resolution*, graphics and processing power. rumor is that the new iphone's processor could be 600mhz. the PSP's is what, 333mhz?

6. assclown

assclown Active Member

Can't be taken seriously as a gaming platform without buttons IMO. Don't get me wrong, there are some fun casual games for it but being limited to motion and touch controls excludes it from being a true gaming platform.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I do a lot of gaming on my touch. I agree that the ones that use motion are pretty lame. It may not be for serious gamers, but I play it a hell of a lot more than any other gaming handheld in the past.

8. gui3

i think that's really important. even though i commute by public transportation, it's a helluva lot easier to carry my phone than phone & PSP

imagine an iphone that could beat the PSP's graphics and processor
    with a sliding attachment controller (that had an internal battery)
    and AAA-level games.

9. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I'm sure everything but the bolded part is possible. No controller, no care. I need tactile response.

10. gui3

the phone, as it is right now, can run DS games and, if jailbroken, NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA games.

if it can run a good game, AAA is always possible.

11. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

?? Seriously? :hs: Damnit... I can't wait until QuickPwn is released for 2G iTouch.

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

unless the next-gen iphone finally upgrades to the processor the 2nd gen touch uses I wouldn't keep holding your breath.