Apple agrees to settlement in iPod battery class action suit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by omgwtfbbqryan, Jun 2, 2005.

1. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

You know, lots of people complain about the iPod’s non-user-replaceable (well, not easily, anyway) battery and its tendency to just plain crap out after while. Then, there are some people who mount a class action lawsuit over it, and it turns out they’ve actually won a settlement. Apple isn’t actually admitting any wrongdoing or misrepresentation, but they have agreed to the settlement, which stipulates that third-generation iPod purchasers who’ve experienced battery failure during an eligible one-year limited warrany extension (presumably this adds a year to the warranty you normally get) can submit a claim for either an iPod replacement or a $50 Apple Store credit (hmm, no brainer!). Those who purchased a new first- or second-generation iPod on or before May 31, 2004 and who’ve experienced battery failure within two years can choose between a $50 credit at the Apple Store (retail or online) or a $25 reimbursement check. Anyone with a 1-3G iPod purchased before May 31, 2004 who has already paid for battery-related services under the Apple Battery Replacement Program before June 3, 2005 (hurry!) is eligible for a 50 percent reimbursement. If you qualify as a class member for any of the above, you’ll want to go get some more details (peep the Read link), and you’ll probably be wanting this:

http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/claim.html

http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/instruct.html

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Part of me thinks this was retarded & a waste of court time. Should I sue Ford because they made the Alternator hard to get to on my car and because they wired it wrong Cougars go through them like candy? Thus making me pay $250 for labor and parts to replace it? NO!

The other half says shame on Apple for using a battery that has such a short lifespan. Maybe they didn't expect people to use these so extensively. Tho a good part might be from users putting it on the charger too often when it doesn't need to. That kills a battery quick.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, no.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

certainly doesn't help things.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

no, the first thing you need to realize is

fords = :riaa:

:mamoru:

6. Spinkick

Spinkick Active Member

there are no provisions for over charging. If it was such a danger they would say: dont charge unless its dead.

7. DrCarlo

DrCarlo Its not that im lazy, its just that I dont care.

It is a shame that the battery is tricky to replace, it would be nice if you could change the battery like you change a mobile phone battery..

/2cents

still love teh ipod goodness.

8. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

I got my lawsuit thing in the mail today. It came with a few sheets with all the legal jarble, but I didn't read that. Then there was some other sheet, you check to say what kind of ipod and if the battery lasts less than four hours then you can say it's faulty. Then you check some boxes and provide them with a copy of your receipt and mail it off. You can either replace it or get $50 to Apple.

9. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

Do you think they'll replace the battery or give you a new iPod?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

batt