WEB Appeal for criticism :hs:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shaitaan, Oct 14, 2009.

1. shaitaan

shaitaan New Member

Hey All,

This is my cry for help :hs: My NetStudio.com site isn't converting. at all.

sales have all but dried up. and I'm pretty much at a loss as to how a site that used to drive *some* sales from the trial download started to flatline.

The product in a nutshell:

1.) It's a simple, templatized graphics software tool. Wizard based banners, simple text effects, etc.

2.) people who *do* end up buying are usually DIY type professionals - teachers, lawyers, dentists, realtors, etc.

3.) priced at $129, which I'm hoping isn't too crazy of a price point.

That being said, please tear my site apart. I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing wrong right now.

:( Goes to show that even though i work at Google, and know that there ARE problems with websites, I still don't understand WHY!

site url: www.netstudio.com

thanks in advance :hug:

2. ge0

ge0 New Member

too much $$, I can go get Photoshop elements and do the same thing for cheaper.. JASC Paint Shop Pro, etc...

3. shaitaan

shaitaan New Member

fair enough.

thing is, the demographic that ends up buying are baby boomers and such that don't have patience to learn new programs;They just want an out of the box, ready to go, super simple thing...

I ran a coupon promo last holiday season that cut it to $79, with no strong uptick in sales.

4. shaitaan

shaitaan New Member

I mean..maybe I'm way off here. Is the pricing the biggest issue? :(

5. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

play with different price points.

6. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

SSL issues wouldnt help alot of browsers/anti virus/phishing/ect.. things would probably kill your shopping cart page.

'This web site does not supply ownership information.'

Also on the front page id have examples of what can be made with it, currently its just a page selling a program that looks like other programs the target market you are looking at want to see what it can do not what it looks like.

7. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

You could be doing mad leads if you would actually have kept in contact with me :mad: I agree the price is probably the biggest problem at the moment.

8. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

no $67 no care

9. redna

redna New Member

Why don't you have an opt-in form smack dab on the front page? Give away the trial via an email opt-in and then you can re-market those people over and over...

and even pitch some affiliate stuff to help make up for the cost of acquisition.

That's my initial impression. I haven't even clicked any of the pages yet.

10. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

It's a lot of money for a punt on something i've never heard of before.

Where's your 30 day money back guarantee? Satisfaction guaranteed and all that sales stuff?

I'm a big fan of the site over at www.marketingexperiments.com. They have loads of articles about what converts, what doesn't convert. :o

Just some personal ideas about the site:-
    * The affiliate login is a little intrusive right at the top of the site.
    * You need more, high quality examples of the type of graphics the program can produce

Is netstudio.com a good domain for this? www.easywebgraphics.com or something similar might be better. Just an idea. Consider setting up an identical site, and doing some split tests based on various aspects of the site.

Something else to think about - consider having a blog or an article repository with guides on how to use the software, as well as general graphics and web design hints and tips.

11. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

I think I posted some ideas in your thread about this in the past but just in case I didn't...

Do you have an active userbase? If not, try to start building one. People like to be proud of their "software" of choice and if you give them a place to share tips and learn with each other it can help. So a small user forum with some basic tuts and examples to start them off may help.

Also, find a few good designers willing to give it a try and give them a copy for free to do some cool stuff with it to show off. Ask them to write about it, maybe a blog review, in exchange for a free copy.

Have some active contest with users...see who can create the best graphics while in trial period and winner gets a free copy...you can do that bi-weekly for a while if you get enough entries. Also another contest for best tutorial video using your app that gets posted on youtube.

Reach out to some of those annoying marketers who like to JV (joel comm, for example) and work out a deal where they can get your app as a free bonus for joining some stupid overpriced training program...with you get a nice cut of course.

Have you gotten any reviews from any of the tech type blogs and marketing blogs. That would be a decent demo since there are a lot of people trying to make ads and banners and such but not designers and looking for an easy approach. Maybe even see if you can get some of the big photoshop tutorial sites to do up a review for you on their sites.

Basically, the more people using it and talking about it the better (obviously). So even if you have to give copies away for pennies for a while it would be worth it to build up an active user base. Maybe even put it in mock beta where the trial is good for 6 months if they help bug test, share ideas and help others on the user forums...basically just a way to help build up a community that will eventually support the app. You need a fan base ;).

And yeah, the price seems a bit high. Not that it isn't worth it but there are just too many options out there.

Have you tried getting thromor to buy a copy for each of his monitors? That alone could set you up for the next year or two.

edit: not sure if it's just my browser but the "buy" button in the header doesn't seem to click through when hitting it from the home page. It works fine for me from other pages but just sits there when I click it on the homepage.

12. brds

brds OT Supporter

Maybe dont target it for peoples' websites... but instead, their business. The banner on your homepage says "Create graphics for your webiste." Well what if they just want a banner for a flier? They might think to themselves that your product isn't for them.

(Not that this will increase sales, but should it say "like these banners" instead of "like this banner")

13. Kevin

Kevin New Member

At $129, this better be a flawless, feature rich application.

14. Kevin

Kevin New Member

The "Create graphics for your website (like this banner)" image is a poor representation of your product to potential customers. (In terms of sharpness and image quality)

15. Kevin

Kevin New Member

The core problem could be as simple as the fact that you're attempting to sell products to a demographic that is very versed in the web, and knows how to get most software for free.

If you're truly after the noob to web design, make sure you're advertising is targeting those areas.

Otherwise, its like buying a banner ad on a website promoting ad blocking software and wondering why nobody is clicking through.

16. blinger

blinger Guest

:bowdown: good looks on the marketing site... anyone have any other sites?

17. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

make sure to disclose paid blog reviews. :o

18. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Thats a good one. Does anyone else have advice on what not to do?

19. shaitaan

shaitaan New Member

thanks for the feedback guys. I'm super :happy sad: right now.

i feel like there's still a market for this product, but perhaps you're right in that it's not worth $129

And truthfully, i'd rather get 3-4 orders consistently say, at $50, then one every few days at $129

20. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

at first glance the color scheme reminds me of basic templates you can buy and the logo looks so web1.0ish. You should update those things first. If the site itself isn't graphically amazing, how can you expect people to buy graphics from it?

Beveled graphics need to be updated. It's an old look and should be replaced with flat gradients... I don't know why flat gradients are more popular these days, but they just are... (unless you can bevel like iphone app icons).

21. shaitaan

shaitaan New Member

that's uh..probably because i did the site, based off of an old template that i hacked up :o

Can't really afford the dev. of a new site right now, until I have positive cashflow :(

22. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

lol, makes sense...

23. redna

redna New Member

I was bored and haven't played in photoshop for a while.

I suppose I could resize it.... but that just wouldn't be fun.

I've got the PSD if you want it.

[​IMG]

24. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

:werd:

25. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Price point definitely has to be a factor. You're pricing yourself up with Elements, and other mainstream applications..