GUN Apparently Jonathan Ciener is a huge asshole

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thegooch, Jun 18, 2008.

1. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Was at my shop today and they just got in 35 Ciener 22 AR conversion kits 30 of which were already spoken for.

All the distributors are severely pissed at Ciener. He's basically been holding back stock to in an attempt create his own market.

The Knob Hill show has been canceled due to the Midwest flooding and within days of it being canceled all the distributors received a shit ton of the kits. So he's had hundreds or thousands of kits in stock he's just been hording them because he can sell them for retail price at the Knob Hill shoot instead of selling them to distributors at a reduced cost.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wat a business owner wants to make money? unpossible :mamoru:

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

so they are pissed he wants ot make money that they want to make

sounds like a bunch of pussy hurt fags to me

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I can't fault a guy for wanting to make money but the list of reasons he is a dick seems to be quite long.

On that note, I got a ciener kit today and I'm not impressed. Apparently its not at all uncommon for people to get kits that can't extract rounds from the chamber manually. How wonderfully safe.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

You just figuring this out? I've never heard anything good about him.

6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

lol

i thikn that is why people want LMT to make them so bad

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Spike's is supposed to be selling their own improved version of the kit some time in the future. I tend to not trust "soon" any more so I went on and got the ciener kit thats I've had on backorder for months. I think a little filing on the extractor will allow me to unload my gun. :rofl:

8. Initial E

Initial E New Member

From what I've been reading Spikes is their own design and not a modified Ciener.

I saw some pics of the bolt a while back and it looked solid. They said they are going to start shipping them out as soon as they get caught up on all the .22 uppers they have on back order, but you can go ahead and call to order just the bolt for back order. I have no clue how much it costs. I would assume it's competitively priced.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thats from their dedicated upper so it will be a little different than what we're used to with the chamber adapter, but to me it looks like the same thing. Not that I thinkt here'd be anything wrong with that if it were made well and supported by a manufactuer that didn't hate you more than HK.

10. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

It's shady business practice at best. Horde all your stock and don't let any distributors and therefor customers buy the product in an effort to collect a few extra dollars being selling them at a show, that's just dick.

11. The distributors certainly have a right to be pissed. For a supplier to hold back stock to take business away from a distributor so that he can sell it himself is at best a morally devoid way to run a business. If he wants to control the supply of his product, he should sell direct, rather than make agreements with distributors and then treat them unfairly.

Now, does he have the right to do what he is doing? Sure, unless there are contracts that say otherwise, but that doesn't mean he should do it. Assuming this is the whole story, and the truth, the distributors are not being "a bunch of pussy hurt fags," they are legitimately pissed off that a supplier is screwing them.

12. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

. well said

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

So if he sold all his stock to retailers, and then he showed up at Knob Creek empty handed, how would he look not having any of his own shit available?

No experience with him myself, but sounds like making a fuss over nothing.

14. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

But from the facts presented, it sounds like he had more than just a handful. It sounds like he intentionally deprived his distributors so he could claim the margin that they would normally receive. That's just downright wrong and if I were one of his distributors, I would drop the product line regardless of profitability because I wouldn't want to be the manufacturer/supplier's hostage/convenient sacrifice.

15. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

Ciener is also the guy that won't answer any questions you ask him, unless you send a $10 money order to pay for his time to answer your question, and has been taking money directly on orders for kits, and not shipping them out for quite some time. He is very shady.

That said, his conversion kit works great in my gun :eek3:

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

qft on all points.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I had a 1911 kit from him, and it ran without any problems. A friend went through two of the same kits, a couple calls, and an eventual visit to Mr. Ceiner himself at Knob creek before things fell apart and he ended up leaving the kit with him after some choice words.

I probably wouldn't be interested in purchasing any of his products unless I could verify it worked, well, on my gun, before purchase.

18. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

If you look around there is plenty of evidence that the guy is a world class jackass. Why even deal with someone like that?

19. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

The man is an asshole from what I've heard. That said, I sent in my MO for my 1911 slide and it arrives 2-3 weeks later and works 100%.

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

a guy on my local board paid in january (his check was cashed 1-14) for an ar kit and still hasn't received it

21. chakup

chakup Guest

Spike's uppers are shipping- I should have a couple in hand this week.

22. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

what's the price on 'em? do they take bdm mags?

23. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

Because at the moment, there isn't another option in the market.

24. chakup

chakup Guest

Yes on the BDM mags- price is ~$550. Sorry really no break on these. Dealer pricing on them is not that great at all, but wanted to get some for people who needed them.

25. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Ugh, wish I had the money for a .22 upper now. Did you get any of those OR lowers Chakup?