GUN Apparently half of my family now thinks I'm...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pimpofthenation, Sep 23, 2008.

1. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

Some sort of dangerous, machine gun toting, looney....:ugh:

So this past weekend was my brother's wedding. The whole family spent a few days up in northern Michigan at a resort on the lake. My brother and I talked about not having anything to do on Sunday until the actual wedding at 4pm. He said "If I have nothing to occupy myself, I'm going to wig out just watching the clock countdown for 8 hours. So I asked him "Do you want me to bring a few rifles to shoot?" and he was all for it. We cleared it with the bride and I brought them.

Well, fast forward to Sunday evening at the wedding... my sister comes up to me and says "I'm just giving you a heads up, Dad is PISSED about the gun thing."

One of my cousins went with us to shoot on Sunday and he told his brother about it later in the day. That cousin went to my dad and told my dad that he was "uncomfortable" with the fact that I had brought guns with me. I don't know yet if he meant he was uncomfortable with me owning them in general or having them at the resort or what...

My dad has now expressed to other family members that he thinks it was extremely inappropriate that I brought them on this weekend in particular and is concerned about me having "machine guns". Apparently the rumor spread through the wedding that I had machine guns.

:sigh:

2. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You should get machine guns. That way your family doesn't seam quite so stupid. ;)

3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Your dad is a liberal hippie tree hugger.

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I strive to be that guy :o

Seriously, though, it's family, what can you do... can't pick your relatives.

5. pimpofthenation

He's actually a lifelong Republican.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'm guessing since it was your brother's wedding, that you are a decent age and out of your parents house (and/of financially independent.) At least if you are close in age with your brother.

Gotta love it, omg, he has guns I better not complain about them to him. I know I'll go to his dad.

Also it was their wedding if the groom wanted to do it and the bride was cool with it, then the rest of them should bite their tongues.

How old was the cousin you took shooting? I mean unless he was like 12, there should have been an issue, besides if there was an issue it should have been a "parenting issue" addressed by the cousin's father, not his brother.

As long as everyone involved was of age and ok with the activity . . .

The only bad gun at a wedding is the shotgun held by the bride's father.

cliffs: you cousin is an idiot, who seem to be in love with hearing himself talk, at least IMO.

7. bursty

bursty New Member

My mom still doesnt even know about my guns....she'd go apeshit :mamoru:

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Also I second the motion.

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:rofl:

Gotta love the uninformed...

10. pimpofthenation

:werd:

My dad is a pretty great guy, but he just doesn't like guns apparently. I know my mom HATES guns, but she IS a liberal tree hugging hippy from Canada. She hates guns, motorcycles and tattoos. LOL, the apple has fallen very far from the tree. :rofl:

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

my parents don't know about my CWP. My mom would stroke out and my dad would shake his head.

12. bursty

bursty New Member

That too, she'd kill me if she knew I carry.

13. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

tell them to fuck off, the bride and groom approved of it :ugh2:

14. pimpofthenation

Yeah, I'm almost 33 and they kicked me out when I was 18 for buying a motorcycle :o

:werd: I think I'm most pissed at my cousin for that.
    exactly
    The cousin who went with us is 31, lol.
    :werd: He's a total know it all, I'm right about everything, etc.

15. pimpofthenation

Same. Thinking back, they probably didn't even know that I own any guns and certainly don't know that I carry. However, out of respect for them, I've never carried in their house.

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:werd: I got some of my mother's father's gun and she about blew a gasket. For christ sake they used to be all over the walls (and I mean 36+ in handguns alone) when she was growing up, the man cleaned everything weekly. I got his duck hunting vest too, it still had feathers in it from his last hunt. (They're still there) :cool:

The only army issue luger, of man I had to leave the room before cracking up.

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Be very friendly to him, but if he sounds like he's moving the topic to any sort of weapons, give him a :squint: "I don't think either one of us will like where this is going..."

18. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Sounds like my situation. I'm the first person in the history of my entire family to ever own a firearm let alone the "armory" that my family considers my collection. All you can do is educate them, hope they respect your choices and recognize you as a responsible, level-headed individual. My parents accused me of being a "ticking timebomb" or "one of those guys who shoots up work" and after a few hard discussions, they finally understood that I choose to own and shoot guns and that I won't be using them to ventilate innocent bystanders/co-workers.

19. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Fuck them. It is their problem, not yours. You know you are in the right and that is all that matters.

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

18 sure you did something stupid that we don't approve of I guess you can take care of yourself if you can spend your own money on that thing, get out. Being pissed at you for doing something will all parties consenting and being independent individuals, that is laughable.

I'd be temped to have a word with him, but you make it sound like he wouldn't listen, he knows it all and he was right.

Then there is real reason anyone should be upset. Unless you took him to the range and he didn't like it and you wouldn't let him leave. However if that happened due to the presence of guns at the wedding he would have suffered a nervous breakdown and in his weakened state been open to the suggestive power of the gun. Since no one at the wedding was injured this didn't happen. Remember guns are evil and they make you do things.

Well then there is no reasoning with him.

I love how everything always goes to machine guns. I can't count the times I've had the machine gun talk with antis or people who like guns but not machine guns. Its down to a quick run down for me "They are registered under the NFA with the federal government, new production for civilians stopped in 1986, they now cost 15,000 plus to buy a used one, plus a tax stamp. A machine gun is not a threat from a criminal, you can buy close to 90 guns for the price of one machine gun."

Anything black or semi-automatic is a machine gun to most people, that includes a 10/22 with a synthetic stock.

21. pimpofthenation

It seems like a few of us have similar situations.

I took my brother and his girlfriend (now wife) shooting for the first time on his birthday in January. She was skeptical when I started carrying to begin with and was nervous about going to the range. Now they are both deciding what handgun to get. :)

I know that my mom would NEVER come around like that. It's just something she'll have to deal with (like my motorcycles and tattoos). Perhaps my dad can be reasoned with. He's a smart enough guy.

22. pimpofthenation

Yep. My cousin that went with us is a bit of a kind of happy go lucky, easy going guy. I can picture him telling the story and maybe saying something casual along the lines of "I don't know, it was this machine gun looking thing, like an M16 or something". So then my other cousin, Mr Serious, ran with that aspect of it.

Basically everybody unloaded one 30 round magazine with the AR, and the rest of it was plinking with a 10/22 and a P22. :noes:

23. pimpofthenation

I'm debating sending my cousin a little email or something, but I really don't feel like starting some huge interfamily conflict. If I just let it go, it should all blow over.

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Too funny. I gave a buddy a shotgun for his wedding present once. I was kind of worried as I did not know if they open the presents at the reception. So after some research I found out that they would not be opened until they were home. They would specificly make sure my present was secured and under no circumstances opened anywhere but at home.

So my buddy and his dad, wife are at the house. They are opening presents and my buddy gets some power tools. His dad goes that's a good man gift. My buddy goes "this one will be better". Open my present to find a winchester defender shotgun. His dad thought it was awesome. The two dogs who are anti gun ran into the next room and pissed the carpet.

To this day my buddy's wife still says "I don't believe you gave us a shotgun for a wedding present.

25. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Your dad is a faggot.