App that scans the HD...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Nov 20, 2009.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Any apps that scan the HD, check for errors, or any other weirdness?

I just tried using bootcamp to install Win7. Partitioning took a long time and the progress bar stopped moving, so I closed bootcamp. It didn't fully create a partition, but the 60 gigs of space was missing. After trying various things, I finally got the space back to one partition. I'd like to scan the HD and see if it finds anything 'left over' from my issues tonight.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Disk Warrior and Drive Genius are the best. Each is best at what it does. Disk Warrior just rebuilds corrupt catalogs but is awesome at it. Drive Genius deals with lots of other issues. Fuck TechTool Pro. It doesn't do shit and usually just messes things up more.

Best recommendation is to back everything up and do a clean install, then copy everything over. While the above programs can repair issues, it's best to replace everything with a fresh copy rather then relying on the fix.

3. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

Disk Warrior +1

Its a completely awesome app.

And definitely have a backup if you start monkeying with partitions and bootcamping your main drive.

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

another vote for DW...
    burn it to a disc and boot from that...
    grab a cup of coffee and let it do it's thing...

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Depending on what's wrong you might be better off going to bed and then to work and coming home. It does a great job but if it's bad it can take a LONG time.

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

Yeah, I think I'm going to format and start fresh tonight. :(

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I had an issue a while back where my disk catalog was showing a negative number (never should do that). Much better to reformat and do a clean install, then move everything back over using Migration Assistant even though Drive Genius could have fixed that.