Apollo GeForce FX5200 256MB 8x AGP???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Dec 16, 2003.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I bought this card on Ebay today... I've been looking all morning and cannot find any sort of review on it. From the specs it seems to be pretty good since is has 256MB DDR memory on it compared to my GeForce II MX-400 with 64MB RAM.

Anyone have this card? Good? Bad? Any reviews??

Thanks,

CM.

2. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

its ok...8x and 256mb is nice, its got dual outputs so dual monitors is made easy if you want, but slow clock speed - not sure it will handle the next wave of tech. in games that well if that is something that concerns you.

I have a fx5600 and its nothing special. I only bought it for the dual outputs and it was cheap and decent. Waiting till I build an all new comp to buy a beast of a card :)

3. McClane

how much did u pay?

4. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

That card is okay, but it definitely will not be powerful enough to play the new DirectX 9 games because the clock speeds are too slow and its got fewer pipelines and all that.
    The 256 MB RAM and 8X AGP are just marketing hype because there really is not any instance when that card will saturate a 4X bus nor will it be able to use more than 128 MB of that memory.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Hmm... I guess I messed up there... I really didn't do enough research and had a lot of trouble finding reviews on it... Oh well, I'll see how it is when I get it in the next few days. It was just that the 256mb caught my eye comparing it to my 32mb card now. I will still have my GeForce II MX-400, which to me, kicks ass and plays all my games great.

My GeForce II card is great and I can play all my games like Max Payne 2, NFS:U and some other graphic intensive games all cranked up. I can't imagine this card not being as good. I guess I'll see.

McClane - I paid about $98 shipped off Ebay. It was from an online company and I got for for ~10 less than it was on their site...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  6. McClane

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ahh.. Oh well... Next time I'll try to look around more. I did see the same card on some others sites and they were much closer to the price I paid and in some cases a few bucks more.

Either way, I'l let everyone know how the card performs when I test it out with some games.

8. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

I wasn't saying it wasn't going to be better than what you were running before, just that it doesn't compare to some of the stuff that is available now.
    It should allow you to play any game you want it to, just not with all the eye-candy turned on in the newest DirectX9 games.
    I'm sure that going from your 32mb card to this card will make you very happy.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Cool... It should arrive today... I installed Unreal II yesterday and it the game wasn't playing too well. It was ok, except for a few skips here and there. I don't like the game anyway, but I'm waiting to see if it plays better with the new card.