Apline 9833 internal crossover problem.?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Jul 1, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I am trying to adjust the frequencies for my front speakers, but no matter where I set the crossover, ie. 80hz-200hz it doesn't make any difference. I still have too much bass coming through my coaxials. Any ideas?

2. beef316

beef316 New Member

You can also save it by pressing and holding one of the number buttons. This is how you save multiple xover selections.

3. StealthMode

Yea, I made sure I was doing that, and the changes are made, I just can't hear or notice a difference.

4. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

sounds like your deck is hooped, on a pioneer avh-6500 you could only adjust it to 80hz or 120hz and it was a definate audible difference between the two

5. StealthMode

Hooped? As in...not working?

6. DaddyThirdLeg

i think so

7. StealthMode

Odd...I can change the octives and notice a difference...

8. DaddyThirdLeg

what do you mean? on the EQ?

9. StealthMode

Ok, it's the "Slope", ie. 6db./oct in the crossover setup. Thats the only thing that has a noticable difference when I change it.

10. DaddyThirdLeg

If you set the roll off of your HPF to 24 db/octave and you can't hear a difference between 80hz and 200hz your unit is fucked or you need to get your hearing checked

11. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'm confused on how you are adjusting crossover settings for coaxial speakers. Or am I misunderstanding your post? Well, I should say, I don't know how you would adjust the high pass/low pass xover between mid and tweeter, since that is built into the speaker on coaxials. Anyway, if you are adjusting the high pass filter, and no matter how high you set it (assuming you have a slope set, and aren't set to pass-thru), you can't tell a difference, something is probably wrong. How high does it allow you to go, just 200Hz? Are you sure the music you are playing goes much below 200Hz? If it doesn't go very far below, or isn't very loud, it will be hard to tell a huge difference between 80Hz and 200Hz with only a 6dB slope. Set your slope as steep as possible (probably 12dB on your alpine) and then change the frequency. If you can go higher than 200, do it, and play hip-hop. If it's set to say 800Hz with a 12dB slope with rap playing, and you can't tell a difference, it's broken.

Edit: if you have the 9833, you can set it to 24dB, and I would try that, at least for testing.

12. StealthMode

Well, I have too much bass going to the coaxials, which is why I want to adjust the internal crossover to filter out the lows a little better. It goes to 24db, and the highest frequency is 200hz.. I'll have to play around with it a bit, but even without messing with the slope, just the fequency, I couldn't tell a difference.

13. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

My point was that the slope might make an even more apparent difference. If the slope is say 6dB at 200Hz, then 100Hz will be about 2/3 as loud. But, if the slope is 24dB at 200Hz, then 100Hz should be something like 20% of the volume at 200Hz (I could be wrong on the 20% figure, but if anything it is even more dramatic than 20%). But, are you sure you are playing music with information down to that level? Also, are you sure there is not a built-in HP filter for the woofers in the coaxials?

14. StealthMode

I'm sure, High is for the front speakers, Mid is for the rears and Low is the for subs, as stated in the manual. :dunno: