APF Pine Tree Championships Meet Report w/ Pics and Vid

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MaineSucks, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

EDIT 12/3: Did not get an APF Elite total, I believe I got a gym elite total as our gym goes by the USPF totals. 1946 is USPF, APF Elite is 2000lbs. Had I competed AAPF, I would have gotten the elite. Alas, I am still now an APF Master Class lifter @ 22

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this meet certainly had its ups and downs. I certainly didn't do as well as expected, but I exceeded the the ELITE total by 6lbs and hit 3 PR's, so I can't be all too pissed off.

First off, I had to cut a lot of water yesterday at weigh-ins. I was on the treadmill for 20min wearing 4 layers in an already dehydrated and fasted state. no biggie. Today, my handler never showed up, so I was fucked. Squat warm ups felt like shit. Luckily, Hardcore Barbell helped me out and I got a handler. I was all over the place in my warmups. Unracking was terrible and I was drifting all over the place. I actually missed my last warmup with 775lbs.

Came out and took my opener with 821.5. got down in the hole and came way forward and my knee came WAY in... I thought I was done. Took the 821.5 again for my second and got it 2-1. still felt like shit, felt like a million pounds on my shoulders and I MANHANDLED this weight last week. Third attempt at 877 I came forward in the hole and missed. Oh well, still made a huge squat.

Bench went extremely well. I had the pleasure of working with Matt Rhodes on bench. He didn't have the day he wanted and bombed in the squat. I asked him if he would help me swim into my shirt and he ended up handling me on bench. Took my 501 opener in a single-ply F6 and made it easy. I took a chance at salvaging my shot at ELITE and went directly into my Metal Viking that I have never done a full range bench in. I told Matt about my touching problems and he reassured me that I WOULD touch today. I unpimped the shirt took it down and touch easily, missed at lockout. For my third attempt we jacked the Metal up and I got my 573. Its been a long time coming and I was BEYOND excited at this bench, I jumped off the bench and did a screaming lap around the warmup room.

That bench salvaged my change at ELITE but at this point I was fucking spent. Took and easy 540 opener on pull. I needed 552 to total ELITE, so I took the closest at 556 just to get the total, took it easily. I knew I was in no shape to pull over six, so I went for a meet PR at 589 and lost my grip. I'm plenty strong to lock it out, but my hand slipped. Any way, I was happy to get out of the Metal Deadlifter. I'm hoping my nuts still function tomorrow.

All in all, I ended up with an 821.5/573/556 for a 1951 ELITE total. Words can't describe how satisfied I am. I placed first in the Junior division. I've been busting my ass for this meet and all the work paid off today. Even thought I didn't have the day I wanted, I still placed first and exceeded my goal, which is all that matters.

Thanks to Chris Wiers for putting on the meet. Chris was the meet director and lifted in the meet, but unfortunately suffered two pretty deep tears in his leg on his 904 opening squat - he's going to get an MRI on monday - he'll be back in no time.

Thanks to Russ' crew for putting on a smooth meet and helping me out a ton. Thanks to CPop and the South Side Gym crew - especially Matt Rhodes. A huge thanks to BigDamRay who helped me out a ton with my training up to this meet. Can't forget the rest of the BAG crew and TX lifters who have been extremely supportive of the sport and me.

Last but certainly not least, mad props to the Southside Barbell crew. I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for you guys. I can't wait to hear how everyone did at Southern States, I hope I'm not the only ELITE total this weekend.

my video editing software is on the fritz, I'm working to get it up. Unfortunately, my mom had some trouble with the camera and didn't get my squat attempts. She got the bench and pulls and I'll have them up as soon as possible.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Way to kick some ass. How'd cpop do on the bench?

3. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

:bowdown:

Good job Maine. You'll do even better next time. You're going to crush those numbers.

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

2k total is almost yours :bigthumb:

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Pop had some trouble and didn't make his benches. He's plenty strong for it, but sometimes shit just doenst happen right on meet day - I almost bombed the squat... it can happen to anyone

6. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

and I'll try to have video up in the morning, I can't even describe how tired/sore/destroyed/overtrained I am right now. I can't even move. time for a shower and sleep. We had 75 lifters today. 3 squat flights, 4 bench flights, 3 dead flights. 20 in each PL flight (15 in the bench only). Needless to say, this was a long meet. Had Russ/Chris known there were going to be this many lifters they would have done a two day meet. They only had 25-30 last year.

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Awesome ! Enjoy your time off.

8. Mojo

Mojo New Member

congrats. i bet you were on hunger rage after the meet

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

yeah but I was so sore I couldnt lift the fork to my mouth. those beers were pretty damn good tho

10. Elfling

Elfling New Member

hot damn! :bowdown: :kiss:

Congratulations a million times over Maine- you kicked some serious ass.

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

AHH SHIT MUTHA FUCKA!! YOU WORKED YOUR ASS OFF FOR IT AND YOUR EARNED IT!!! NOW BUST OUT THE SLEEVELESS FLANNEL AND LIVE IT UP!!!!

lc

12. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

nice job.

I thought maine was a lot further from quebec than it actually is... (I have no idea where most states in the US are situated). Maybe I could come down sometime this summer.

13. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

good job!

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Maine is so up north that many people in the US think you have to be crazy to live there. Then there's Quebec.

15. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

:bowdown: x 1000

You seriously kicked ass man! You're a strong motherfucker who has busted his ass and deserve every last second of this.

:beer:

16. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

welp, I'm graduating and will never come north of the Mason Dixon ever again after May

17. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Bullshit, if Sr Nats or Worlds is above it I'll bet the farm you will cross it again.

18. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

this is true. I retract my previous statement.

19. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Congrats Maine. You worked hard and you deserved it!! WTF happened to your handler?

20. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

Congrats

21. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

BDR it's almost 11pm DFW time, are you up past your bedtime?

22. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Dude Huge Congrats!

23. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

:bowdown: You brought the swamp strength with you! Congrats!

24. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

looking forward to the vid. congrats btw :cool:

25. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

Way to rape and pilliage the village you barbarian :coold:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.