SRS Apathy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JohnJohnJohnson, Dec 1, 2006.

1. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

So I've been spending wayyy too much time on Off Topic of late. I'm still doing my school work (poorly) and I'm still eating two (light) meals a day, and my room is very messy but not a total pigsty. But I haven't showered in a week and I smell bad, and I haven't worked out in weeks, and I just do not give a shit about this.

My friend indicated her concern about this, not because she didn't like the way I smelled but b/c she felt it represented some I don't know thing about the psyche.

At any rate, I feel kind of compelled or obligated to get my shit together but simultaneously it's like I ... don't really have it in me. Anyone else feel this kind of thing?

2. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

I used to be like that until this summer. Sorta coasted through my classwork/skipped classes, eat a lot, bullshit with the neighbors, not work out, etc. Lots of anxiety... I always knew something was wrong but I didn't snap into form until I got kicked out of my major for posting average grades. (Fortunately that worked out for the best as I had lost all interest in it anyway.)

It's been great since then, though. I picked up a lot of good habits over the summer and they followed me into the new semester.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  3. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Just the usual relationship stuff u see here all the time.

I was unsuccessful with women for most of my life. Then when I was 20 I met this very attractive, very good personality girl who I began to fall in love with and who was infatuated with me. At first she was more into me than I was into her - I think she put me on a pedestal. After 5 months she began to grow distant from me, and I had to force myself not to get clingy. Despite that effort, I asked her what was going on frequently and got smokescreen responses for 2 months. Communication broke down and by the time we went back to college she had mysteriously lost interest while I was at the peak of my feelings towards her. Up until about a day ago I've been trying to figure out what happened.

My father additionally has lost his mind over the last couple years due to alcohol dementia, which is a self-induced neurological disorder caused by drinking excessively. He still drinks excessively because we can't stop him, so the disorder is getting worse, and there are moments now when he no longer recognizes me.

The thing is that aside from the fucking love bullshit, all of this stuff has been par for the course - it's been going on for a while, and yet it's not like I've been apathetic the entire time. More recently than anything.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Well, regardless, if these negative things have been going on for a while, the distress of the situations you encounter can and will build up to a breaking point.

Thinking back, can you pinpoint one specific incident that happened just before you started feeling apathetic toward other things in your life? Or did you go through a period of time right before this that involved abnormally high levels of stress?

Honestly, I'd recommend seeing a professional about this; it sounds like it could even be a form of depression. Once the sh!t hits the fan, the floodgates pour open....

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You have to consider yourself like a steam kettle, if there's too little pressure on it you get nothing done, if there's too much pressure on it, there's a chance the kettle will explode if it doesn't vent and releases its pressure.

Basically you have to turn the pressure on , and kick your own butt into getting things done, get a get up n go attitude, and get your life organised. Create a strong fundament and a logical structure to support what you do in your life.

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

It's not because someone has a symptom of a disorder that he has the said disorder.
    The apathy can be caused by what is called learned helplessness which is, basically, the fact that some people learn, because of some of their life experience, that whatever they do, they don't have any influence on what happens and because of that, they don't even TRY to influence things.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness
    This isn't a disorder, it's just a distorted thought but it can (and it probably will) lead to depression.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:rolleyes: Where did I say "You have depression." :hsugh: I certainly don't see it.

Why do you think I said it "might" be this, or that it would be a good idea to consult a professional who can help him deal with his issues, regardless if they're a clinically-treatable condition or not?

Stop putting words in my mouth.:OP:

8. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

although you are obviously right (and i aways love your analogies :)) its not really that easy. i have the same problem and i think i'm going to have to have some type of major consequence b4 i'm able to fix it. goodluck. oh, and go take a shower right now. it will feel really good and only takes like 5 mins.