SRS Apathy and School

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Carrots, May 12, 2006.

1. Carrots

Carrots New Member

Hey there.

I'm currently a student at a really nice American private prep school. The academics are actually challenging, we have small classes, pretty campus, plenty of funding, and the teachers are (for the most part) excellent. The work load that the average student has is usually compared to medium to lightish load that a student would take at a university. I know how lucky I am.

But I haven't been doing my homework recently. I've always been a procrastinator, and I've gotten behind on my work in the past but not this far. I'm a couple assignments behind in math, I skipped a good chunk of the last book I read for english, I'm about a month behind on my Chem homework, and I have a 15 page history paper due Tuesday that I've barely started, and I've only read a few of the twelve journal articles on which it's supposed to be based. If I were procrastinating as usual, I'd be worrying myself sick about everything I have to turn in soon, but I'm not. The problem is I just don't care about it anymore. English? Meh. Science? *shrug* I've always been that total nerd who reads textbooks for fun and thinks everything boring is interesting. But I don't think anything I'm learning interesting anymore, so I don't care about my homework, so I don't do it.

This is a problem. I need to finish high school. In order to finish high school, I need to pass my classes.

To do that, I need to either
    a) Figure out how to do hours of hard work I don't give a damn about on a daily basis
    or
    b) Care.

Any advice?
    Please and thank you. :)

2. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

IDK, doesn't really seem like you have to many choices here man. You have a couple of weeks left and just do it. I know it's harder said than done, but i'm sure you realize you have no other choice. Go to the library on a saturday and sunday, and just work.. take maybe 2-3 breaks and go out to each or a walk, and just spend most of your day in the library. Don't bring your laptop or anything if you have one, just schoolwork. Your going to do two things, either work or just sit there, if you choose the latter, eventually you'll get bored of just sitting there and will begin to work..

3. Carrots

Carrots New Member

Thank you, sir. This has helped me quite a bit.

4. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

How'd it go? Get some work done, almost done with school, can't be to much longer i imagine?

5. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

i think your going to have to quit this school. i know it seems over the top but i know. i went to a catholic prep school and did the same thing you did. got really behind in my work and told my parents i was going to drop out. they talked me into staying in that school for a month until they found something else and i went to a alternative school, got my credits, and finished.

6. Down623

Down623 What's the Catch?

I'm in college right now and was going through that exact same thing my first year. I failed 3 classes because A) I didn't go B) I didn't do the work, or C) I didn't go to the final. I just didn't give a shit, and when my grades came back, I kind of just wanted to drop out. But the fact is (and I'm not saying this to be a braggart) I'm much too smart for that. I've done extremely well in high school, etc. so why did I stop caring?

If you're like me, you may never have had to do much work in order to get by, and all of a sudden (be it college or even another grade in high school), the work is much harder than it used to be. It's hard to suddenly switch to studying and getting work done ahead of time, and it may seem impossible.

I started seeing a mentor who really helped me get my shit together. He made me meticulously divide up the hours of the day into work, planning to work on one thing for such and such a time, then move on, making sure that I didn't overload myself in one day, and still had time to relax, but got my stuff done.

I didn't think it'd work, but to tell you the truth, it really has. I do it mostly in my head now, but that little bit of structure and organization has done wonders for my outlook. I mean, I still sometimes feel very apathetic about schoolwork (what's my motivation? To graduate and get a shitty job anyway?) but I realize that this stuff HAS to get done.

Maybe a schedule would work for you, maybe not. If you're really struggling, it's a very good thing that you've identified it as a problem. Do not be afraid to consult a teacher or a counselor for help. They may not help at all, but they may (like in my case) help you get back on track.

Good luck