SRS Apathetic About College

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tman, Oct 4, 2006.

1. tman

tman New Member

Yes, that's what I am, apathetic and lacking interest in my studies. Aside from that, it's also a combination of lack of discipline and laziness. Anyone been able to motivate themselves and/or know how? It's seriously effected my grades these past two years. Thank you.

2. big 1

big 1 New Member

Do you understand what apathetic means? I think you are confused with the word's meaning... please edit your post,it will get you better advice!:)

3. tman

tman New Member

Thanks big1, I'm pretty sure I'm using the right word. Apathetic:

dictionary.com: "not interested or concerned; indifferent or unresponsive"

That accurately describes my feeling.

4. big 1

big 1 New Member

I was experiencing the same thing, but I changed my major. Now I attend all the classes :) maybe youre just studying the wrong subject.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You dislike what you do because you don't have a feeling that your doing it for yourself.

Stop studying for your parents, stop studying for your teachers, and ask yourself the question, for who am i doing all of this? You got it, its for your own future your doing it for yourself for your own sake.

You know you can earn a little money in life or a heapload, a diploma is just a formality that allows you to earn more. Heck if you blew your entire study you'd still live, so stop feeling pressurized. Why?

Because in the end wether you have or haven't your diploma you will have to work and be responsible for the outcome of your life anyway, you see to reach happyness you have to go thru a lot of pain.

So you might as well go for gold in life, you don't need a low paid job do you? Just do it for the money. And say that to yourself when your unmotivated, its just for the money nothing more.

6. tman

tman New Member

You both are right in different ways and I've thought about the things you two mention before. After bouncing around, I always seem to resort to not caring though. What the hell?

7. ilu

ilu New Member

if you'd be happy with an ok job (see: bartender) then drop out of college. i did it and i'm going to be a dj. even if i don't make it really big, as long as i'm happy doing it that's all that matters. fuck college. if you'd be happy being a stoner that works as a pizza delivery guy or a manager at mcdonald's, go for it. if you want to be a bum and walk the world, do it.

college -> ? -> PROFIT!

srsly contemplate changing your major. you obviously don't enjoy the path you're walking, so change course to somewhere more appealing.

you could always join the army/navy/air force if you lack discipline. ACCELERATE YOUR LIFE!

8. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

College sucks.. I see it as a routine thing in life since no one will take you seriously w/o it.

I had a major i liked and i aced easily.. never going to class.

Not sure what could be causing your problems... could go see the counselor on campus and see what they say...

9. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

Been there. I was a journalism major at a top j-school until they asked me to leave for posting average grades for two years. And that's because I never went to class. And THAT is because I didn't care about my classes, because I couldn't really see a good future in journalism. It's kind of a saturated field.

Seriously consider another major. It changed my academic life. I'm a radiography major now, and as soon as I graduate (2.5 more years) I know I'm guaranteed a decent job anywhere in the US.

10. Seymour Glass

Seymour Glass New Member

Posting about your apathy nullifies your said apathy.

11. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

Consider your options apart from college. If you don't feel cut out for college consider a trade apprenticeship. You could flunk out and get a minimum wage job and move into the ghetto. (You can't alalways live with your parents.) I think you are at a crossroads and it's about growing up.

12. tman

tman New Member

You are all right on the money. Thank you for your wisdom, it is really helping.