GUN apartment defense

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Mar 19, 2009.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I found out yesterday that my neighbor moved out without saying anything so I called him to see what was up. I guess a few weeks ago his fiancé caught the maintainance guy out in the hallway with his ear up to the door and a few days later my friend was talking to his upstairs neighbor and apparently that guy came home one day to find that same maintanace guy in his apartment and he said he was "fixing something." apparently no work order but I don't know the full story there.

Anyway it got me thinking about keeping unwanted intruders out. We already keep all our shit locked, and have dowels blocking the sliding door and windows. There's nothing we can do about our actual deadbolt/door so i'm mainly looking for ways to deter someone once they break in (or if maintanance decides to come unauthorized) and a way to alert me or my SO if one of us is home. So in this situation what do you think would be the. Best course of action?

2. xpinchx

Also FWIW this was also reported to the leasing office but I don't know what's being done on their end, if anything.

3. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

You should invest a couple hours and watch the movie "Shoot'em up"

4. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Put a bell on your front door. :dunno:

5. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

the maintainance guy at my apartment complex was found out to be a serial rapist. that was awesome.

6. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

get a tiger

7. johnson

johnson New Member

camera system

8. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

fuck that, I'd have a talk with the maintenance guy that would go something like "if you come in my apartment I'll fucking kill you, and throw your body in a wood chipper"

9. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

i know in florida they need advance notice, normally 24 hours, or must fear for the well being of their property to be able to enter an apartment. of course, it never goes that way.

10. xpinchx

"I thought your toilet was leaking I into the apartment below." bam legal permission to enter residence without permission. Sorta happened to me once, heard a knock on my door followed by keys rustling. Figured a burglar wouldn't be messing with keys so I opened up and sure enough it was maint. Apparently had a leak below me and he replaced some shit ony shower faucet. :dunno: freaks me out knowing someone could just walk into my home

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The least I'd do is hook a webcam or something on your door. There are lots of programs that can be set to record only when there is movement.

When I was in an apartment I swapped the deadbolt so nobody else but me had a key for the door.

12. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

Webcam would probably be your best bet...that or a device similar to this one (forgive the site, first one I found) that would sound an alarm if the door was opened. Granted, it wouldn't do much more than beep like a mofo, but I'm sure that would be enough to deter most people. You might be able to find a remote ADT-like unit so the keypad isn't right next to the door.

As for changing the deadbolt, I mean, yeah...you could do it...but if something happens or for some reason they do try to come by, you could get pretty fucked. Changing the deadbolt back every time they tell you they're coming could be a bitch too. That is, unless you just get a "learning/rekeyable" deadbolt like the Kwikset Smartkey system. I installed it when we were trying to find roommates and didn't want to worry about there being a lot of keys floating around.

Long post...sorry.:o

Edit: Here's another gadget

[​IMG]
    Motion sensor w/ 130db siren + Autodial to 3 programmable numbers

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I agree, changing your locks is probably not the best bet. At the time I didn't have a safe and I lived alone. I figured if there was a big enough emergency they would either break the door down or call me. I lived in a pretty shitty complex and I heard people jiggle my door handle on more than on occasion.

14. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Just curious since I'm local, what complex is that? I've heard some shady-ass stories about incidents like that in places like Chandler Crossings, but maybe it's more or less SOP in apartments? :dunno:

BTW since you're local, I'll also do a thread-jack and ask what shops/ranges you frequent around here; the one I've been dealing with is 'meh' at best (Total Firearms in Mason).

15. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

need a lion bro :o

16. xpinchx

I'll pm you about the apt complex later but it's in haslett so it's not really typical student housing like chandler. For buying guns I've bought from Dick's and Dunham's of course but for good dealsand cheap transfers I go to Moose Creek Sports in downtown Lansing (it's a seperate shop within Dicker Deal... Took me a while to figure that one out :o)

17. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

deer camera set-up thingy

18. no7fish

no7fish New Member

ditto, NObody fuck with the king of the jungle :naughty:

19. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I'm just glad I don't live in an apt any more. Something about a complete stranger owning a key to my home makes my uneasy. I would for sure make sure I had a good safe to store my guns when I was not there. I've known a few people that worked maintenance jobs for apt complexes at various times, and they are NOT people I would trust being in my home when I was not there.

They do make electronic door alarms that you can get for $10 or so. You put them on the door, and when someone opens it, it emits a loud beep and or extended alarm... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=door+alarm&x=0&y=0

20. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Ya, i'm glad we have a dog in my aparment. She's perfectly sweet and not a gaurd dog at all, but i know maintenance wont come in without asking first...people are very wary of dogs even if they arent aggressive.

You could probably change the locks on your door also. If the leasing office bitches you can tell them exactly why you did it.

21. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

We have cats and they are the opposite of your dog. They love to loudly knock sh*t over in the middle of the night.... and leave me wandering the house at 2AM in my boxers w/ flashlight and/or gun in hand making sure it wasn't an intruder.

22. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I wouldn't have any problem changing the locks. If they bitch about it, you can tell them that by law, they have to give you 24 hrs notice to enter your place, and that as soon as they give that notice, you'll drop off a key or be there when they need to enter. I would also tell them exactly why :dunno:

23. xpinchx

And they would tell you that by law you just broke your lease and your ass is evicted.

24. KingOfBabTouma

KingOfBabTouma Hepinize daha iyiyim OT Supporter

I think madpunk in dc seriously has the best suggestion, just catch him when no one else is around and dead serious say, "I know you're a fucking creep, and I'm not going back to prison for nothing, but if I find out you went in my fucking apt while I was gone, I'll skin your ass alive and mail your ears to your mother."

25. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Is there a particular clause in your lease that says you cant change the locks? I dont think there is one in mine.