Apache & ASP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CyberBullets, Jan 10, 2004.

1. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

hmmmmmmm well it seems my uni likes to fuck with courses and change the web development languages from PHP to ASP (not even .net :wtc: ) so it suits the instructor, not the student...

but anyhoo... anyone got a method of putting asp on to an apache server? I refuse to install IIS (like our instructor wants us to) on my computer... heck doesnt really help either cause i dont have a windows box working....

Ive seen Apache+asp in one... but i'd rather just toss on a plugin making my life easier. :big grin:

if you have any suggestions please post them. And no, not learning ASP and/or dropping the course doesnt help :p i need the credits to get my diploma this semester.

2. CyberBullets

i have found http://modvb.sourceforge.net/

has anyone given it a try? it seems like it should work....

gonna go for an install now :x:
    [edit]
    ohhh shhhiiitttyyyy they dont even have anything posted for download... no binaries or source.... :wtc:
    [/edit]

there is also APACHE::ASP... but like i said... i dont wanna do another apache install

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Ugh... ASP - that sucks. JScript or VBScript? I'm going to bet its VBScript. If it is, and you're looking to be a ROYAL pain in the ass, code everything in JScript (assuming prof can't read JScript). I'd be curious what the reaction would be (although try at your own risk).

ChilliSoft (I think its with 2 L's) has some plugin thing that costs some bucks but will allow ASP to be run from Apache.

Otherwise I think you're on your own. Die hard Linux and web guys usually frown upon ASP so I don't know of any large movement or motivation for a free ASP port to *nix (I could be wrong though - haven't looked/searched).

I hate to say it, but it might save you a little pain and suffering if you just go with IIS. Its up to you if you want to fight the system or go with the flow on this (gotta pick your battles). Can you get some IIS web space somewhere? How about from the school? Maybe if you beg, plead, look broke, and explain how you don't have the money to buy a computer to reliably run Windows AND IIS (hint: BS to make this work - or explain you're a Mac G4/5 shop), maybe you could get them to find some web space for you (free webspace! could be pretty handy).

4. CyberBullets

great idea's. i was looking at chillisoft 2.0... and yeah it costs some cash. im gonna see if my school has access to it as they are in colaberation with SUN.

and im not 100% sure if we are using JScript or VBScript, but i swear to god im gonna make a fuss.

But as of right now, im taking to the instructor (via e-mail) to see if he is willing to make a comprimise for me :x:. Maybe meet in the middle with Perl :big grin: (my first cgi language).

I cant use the "i cant afford windows" as they give it to us free... and they ask all cis students to own atleast a gigahertz or better with 512mb ram... though not manditory.

Oh well... i guess its time for me to learn ASP... though i never did plan to anytime in the future....

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I miss school

ever since having graduated from college, I haven't learned anything, i've fallen behind so far :wtc:

maybe I should quit my dead end job and go back to university, I hear threads like this about you mofos doing shit and I am all alone...boohoo :hs:

6. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

you can ease the pain of using ASP by using Python as your language instead of VBscript of Javascript. :bigthumb:

7. CyberBullets

yeah the problem is does my instructor know python and able to grade my code accordingly?

he owns his own consulting company for web development and hires his top 2 students every year... so im hoping this year will be my turn :big grin: :x:

i dont wanna be an ass to him, but we have open some great dialoge between eachother. im hoping something will come out of it...

if worse comes to worse ill run windows 2003 enterprise edition (legit copy) for the semester. :hs:

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Don't burn any bridges.

You've mentioned some possible future benefits if you stay on this guys good side. Good call. See if you can find a happy medium. I'd push for some free webspace. All you need is a spot to run your scripts... Unless he is taking you guys into the install/setup/config of IIS but even that's pretty easy (more importantly, I'd hope he would spend some time on IIS security - patch and patch often!).

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Ok, I'm in the process of doing my third SuSE install I found this:

Development/Libraries/Perl: perl-Apache-ASP : "Active Server Pages for Apache with mod_perl"

This would appear to be a Perl module addon thing. Not sure whats involved to make it work and how ASP friendly it is, but it might be something to look into...

10. CyberBullets

hmmmmm seems interesting... ill see if i can find it and give it a whirl.

thanks! :bigthumb:

what SuSE ver? 9.0?

11. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

You should be able to compile the module with any version though.

I assume SuSE uses Apache 2.x.x now?

12. CyberBullets

you can even do a windows install (once perl is installed)...

what it looks to do is just interpret the ASP and execute's it as perl...

13. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

This should be a generic module for Apache. I was just doing a SuSE install and noticed it (Apache v.1.3.20). Not sure if it will do what you want or not.

14. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

:ugh2: I'd punch him in the cooter

15. CyberBullets

yeah ur brilliant... why dont u drink some bleach while ur at it

16. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I'm just saying asp and m$ blows. That's all. :greddyd:

I'd drop the class, but then again, I don't plan on actually programming for a living, sort of.

php, mysql, opensource movement > rape me in the ass movement

17. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

IT industry = boss wants you to jump, you ask how high. Boss wants you to code in ASP, you ask when is it due? You want a degree = gotta do the work.

18. CyberBullets

:werd:

i take certian classes i have to, even though i may not want to. i have to take a few more windows 2003 classes, though i dont see me using it much as a developer, what if i find a job where they need a 2k3 admin?

i just wanna keep all my doors open.

and oh, btw, he is putting up a box for us to use :big grin: :bigthumb:

19. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Nice!