Apache 1.3.x

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CyberBullets, Feb 7, 2003.

1. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

I run a website off of my computer. Its more or less lets me and my friends grab files off of my computer at any time.

well it seems that more and more people have been getting acces, and i want to have a way to password protect it with individual passwords.

any way to do this in the httpd.conf file or will i have to load a module for this?

or

is there any other webservers (not netscape or IIS) that will let me do that.

i cant run ftp as my school blocked ftp out :( and same with uottawa (for my friends). though i do have an ftp :big grin:

2. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

http://apache-server.com/tutorials/ATusing-htaccess.html

try that. i didnt actually read it, but htaccess is the standard method for apache security

its also i bit complex for what you want i think.. first off, dont leave all your good stuff at root put it in /stuff or whatever with and index.html that doesnt have any links to anything good in the root. so any idiot just scanning web servers wont find anything good. there are also simple java protect scripts that will keep the lazy out.

3. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i was wondering how do those scanner programs look for open directories? let's say there is a website www.website.com how would that program find other folders if website.com has an index.html for example and no links to any folders?

4. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

most of the time they dont. if you have unlinked directories and down allow dir listings then they shouldnt be able to find them

i forget how to disable explicet request for dir listings
    think you can chmod the dir itself unreadable, and the files readable tho.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

thanks man. im gonna try it tonight when i get home from work.

im not worried about scanners, cause my website is hosted on ports from 30000-50000. it varies weekly or monthly. depends on my mood.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yup, htaccess is the best way I'm thinking... It's pretty easy, used it lots of times :wiggle:

7. Insey

Insey I can feel my cunt contracting

.htaccess is the best approach. you can create user accounts and manage them in a text file. some webhosts offer a GUI htaccess manager however. it makes it easier.