AOL Instant Messenger: Refuses to connect!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dr3w321, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dr3w321

Dr3w321 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely

Alright well, here is my story...

3 days ago, my friend had me download AIM 5.5. I was using something post 5, so I was somewhat already up to date.

So I download it, and install it....goto run it..will not connect. It doesn't even begin to start connecting, just immediately says "The AIM service can't be reached."

I am hooked up to a Linksys 4 Port Router on a Cable Modem. I have tried just about everything I can think of. I believe I have my port forwards setup correctly even for AIM, however I could be wrong.
    [​IMG]

I have it set up based off the only information I could find on this site, and that was for file transferring
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/FAQ-25-Getting+applications+to+work+(opening+ports)-0.php#92

The only other thing I've messed with is the DMZ Host settings which I've had good luck with in the past, but it has been to no avail this time.

Any suggestions on what else I might try?

2. carlin

carlin Guest

i never had to change anything in the router setting for AIM 5.5 ... :confused:

i would just bypass the router completely just to make sure its not an router issue ...

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto, You shouldn't have to do anything with a router to use AIM. Maybe you have firewall software that is getting in the way?

CM.

4. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

like cmsurfer said, do you have zonealarm running or something else? if so disable that and see if you can connect.

try connecting without router, meaning unplug the other comps and plug your comp directly into the cable modem (or whatever you use to connect). then see if you can connect. sometimes aim servers go down.

also are you sure your internal ip is .101? that could be the problem. did aim work with the router previously? or did you just install the router and then experience problems?

5. Dr3w321

AIM worked fine with the router previously, and I've tried by passing the router as well to make sure that wasn't my problem. I am not running any kind of software at the moment while trying to get this to work correctly, and I have disabled the firewall altogether on my router as well.

And yes I am sure my IP for router ends in .101

6. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

try opening 4099 as well

7. prophet

prophet Guest

You shouldn't have to open any ports at all to connect to AIM. Did you try going to the connection settings and Auto-configuring which port it connects to? If that doesn't help, try reinstalling it or uninstalling it for an older version.

8. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

if you have a firewall taht has all ports closed, then yes you would have to open ports up in order to use aim.

9. Dr3w321

I tried auto configuring

and the firewall is currently disabled.

And installing/reinstalling etc I've attempted first before anything ;)