AOL broadband....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IceMurder, Aug 2, 2003.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

God, please tell me there is a way to get around their goddamned software, i swear its the devil. Im going to be hooking up a router soon in my house for my computer and im wondering if there is a way i can get around using their software, my dad likes the AOL shit so thats why we have it but i dont want this shit on my computer. PLEASE help :wtc:

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Nope. You're stuck with their software. Its AOL! Even with an AOL approved router and an account for a home network, you still have to login individually on each computer. I just saw a commercial last night where AOL claims that's a good thing. :rolleyes: Your best bet is to get a REAL ISP and cut AOL back to their $9.95/mo bring your own access plan for your dad. The AOL software can run on his computer and access AOL over an existing DSL/cable connection. Then you and the rest of your computers can have REAL ALWAYS-ON Internet through the router.

3. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Will i have to pay for the extra computer? or just a router? :dunno:

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Once you have cable or DSL from a real ISP, you just buy the router and hook up as many computers as you want. No extra monthy fees. Then for $10/mo extra your dad can still use AOL on his computer.

5. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Well what about AOL cable...my dad wants to keep it for email and blah blah blah...i dont know why he likes it...

6. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Seriously, just cut his AOL account back to the $9.95/mo bring-your-own-connection account and get regular cable or DSL from a local provider. When your father wants to use it, all he has to do is load up the AOL client and hit login.

7. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I know road runner had some specials in some division with the whole AOL+RR thing

i'd advise you to call your Time Warner/Bright house office and check

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

AOL cable would still make you install AOL's shitty software and login to it individually on each computer before you could use the net. Its still AOL!