Anything to be aware of when installing XP over Vista?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Paulie Walnuts, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Im sick of Vista and I want to wipe out the drive and install XP. Somone at work was telling me that its going to be next to impossible for some reason.

Any truth in this and any tips you have?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well, what kind of machine do you have? Was Vista pre-loaded?

For some reason, just about every thread I see about people going back to XP from Vista have trouble finding drivers. Try and find the XP drivers for all of your hardware before you format.

What exactly don't you like about it?

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

nah, it's just like a clean install.
    as what cmsurfer said, most people just encounter driver problems

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

some people at work bought these Sony laptops that were built for Vista and found that finding XP drivers was next to impossible. i am amazed at how stupid a company would be to commit themselves to Vista when it is obviously not very successful in the market. i could see doing that after it takes hold, but man that is such bad planning on their part.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

vista is successful in the market. It simply requires current-gen hardware to work well.

6. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Exactly, Sony could care less(responding to the post above yours) if you are trying to install old fucking software. Vista works fine on it's laptop, there is no need for them to provide you XP drivers.

7. Paulie Walnuts

Yes it came with Vista pre-loaded.

What I dont like is how slow it is. It seems like everything is slowing down. I have checked everything else out that I know about and cannot figure it out and I just know that I NEVER had that problem with XP. Also as gay as this might sound to you guy now when I go to my network connection and search for a network (I do this at work because we cannot use anything but the free WiFi) and it literally takes 5 mins to find the connection. Anders was over one night and he fucked it up and now it just doesnt work right. I suppose I sould re-install the Vista that came with it I just hate how slow it is and I dont have $70 to get another gig of ram

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can't rate an OS based on a shitty spyware-infested factory install.

format and re-install Vista.

(this assumes you bought a decent machine, in the first place)

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

hmm... i guess i must be the only one here who reads all of the articles about how so many people are avoiding the Vista upgrade and so many more are downgrading back to XP after trying out Vista. i'm not making any comments on whether or not it is a good OS, but there is a shitload of articles out there about how Vista is bombing.

Microsoft extends the availability of XP for 6 more months as well as offers downgrades from Vista to XP

PC World rates Vista as the biggest disappointment of 2007

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The majority of "downgrades" can be attributed to one of three factors:

1) It's cool to hate vista. The fad is to hate MS. Right or wrong, people sackride XP. I admit I was among this group at first -- but after sitting down with Vista and an open mind -- it's a great product.

2) Spyware-infested factory OS installs. Every major manufacturer loads down their systems with crap from the factory. By going from a bloated OS install to a clean XP install people are feeling how snappy their system can be; however, similar results can be obtained simply by cleaning their system or by formating and re-installing vista.

3) They bought a shitty computer. This is very common. Computer prices went down, and it's difficult for the average consumer to see the difference in a $1500 machine versus a $550 machine. They don't see the value in that $950 price gap. And Vista pushes that envelope because MS saw the plumeting hardware costs as a way to come out with a great product... Take advantage of the memory that is so cheap. Take advantage of those billions of clock cycles. Apple has done this for years -- thats why their Mac Pros have great processors. But Apple controls their hardware so you can't get a "shitty" mac pro. They have removed that factor from affecting their users. With PCs, you still have the freedom to buy utter shit -- and if you run a great product on shit it's gonna run like shit.

11. Frequency

Frequency New Member

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
    That right there kinda helps me justify taking you off my IL

12. Paulie Walnuts

Ok but wont using the same disc that came with the PC that has vista on it sill have all the spyware? Or are you saying that the manufacturer put spyware on after the install?

Whats the best spyware removal tools out there.

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I don't think he actually meant spyware...

What usually happens when you buy a machine is that they preload it with the OS plus a bunch of programs and such that you will probably never use. That's what makes the machine so bloated and slow off the bat.

You can uninstall what things you don't need/want, and clean things up some, but if you have a standalone OS disc (not recovery), just do a format.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

both yes on recovery disks and OEM OS disks such as those that came from Dell, HP, Sony, etc.

it's not really harmful spyware that tools like adaware or spybot will detect.
    it's more like bloated in-house or third party software which can be uninstalled.

best way to take these out is don't install them in the first place by using vLite

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Alright. I'll give it a shot and see for myself.

16. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I know my 2002 Sony desktop gives me the option to install the bloat crap. When I reformat, it has OS/driver discs and then all of the additional crap the computer came with is on separate disc all together.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Some give shitty restore cds but that should be your first indiciation that it's a brand you don't want to do business with. Use a standard OS dvd and do a clean install.

18. Paulie Walnuts

I only have an XP disc that is stand alone :wtc::wtc::wtc: otherwise its the vista disc that came with the computer.

I wonder if I should just give it a shot with XP

19. Paulie Walnuts

Dont all laptops come with the disc that has everything loaded on it? I am going to go look at what the discs are that came with it and will let you know. I know that there is a shitload of gay Toshiba tools on this laptop but I dont know if they are embedded in the OS disc or seperate.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my gateway came with a clean Vista OS dvd.

If you don't have one you can buy one for a nominal price (sans coa) from newegg or a local small retailer.

21. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not to mention that PC World went down the drain and I have no respect for it or anyone that hangs on the words of it.