Anything I should know about Building a HTPC (MythTV)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, May 20, 2006.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Hey All,

I'm building a MythTV based HTPC for my house. Its a rental house, i'm building it on a college budget (though note, i have a great job and make really good money, more than my mom does as a first grade teacher with a masters degree lol)

I mainly want this unit so it can connect via Wifi (or maybe for faster access, networked via Cat5 to my router, more likely wifi) to my windows xp server in my bedroom that has around 30,000 media files (mp3's, and music videos)

Oh and i would like to put in the emulators for NES and SNES.

Note that we are planning on getting Comcast Digital Cable.

So Is there any advice you all have for me?

I am partially spontaneous, i will jump in and buy parts before i do a LOT of research, i am hoping to build this thing in the next month, to get it at least functional for our 4th of july party in the new house (i'm moving in with 4 other college guys)

I am a home audio kinda guy, i like quality, i even build my own home theater speakers.

Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions for me!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

budget? What do you have? What do you need?

For audio, get M-Audio.

as for anything else, I prefer MCE.

And wtf:
    roofles.

3. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Budget is probably under $600 to start, maybe with the options to add on later more stuff...

I need everything that you would need to build a htpc

When i said windows XP server, i was saying i have a windows XP pro desktop in my room that has about 400 gigs of space on it, 200 or so is used for media files, i use it as my private FTP server for access by myself at work and at my parents house. I would install some sort of UDP on it so it would work with the linux based MythTV

I am thinking about at least 2 TV cards to start with, so i watch one show and record another. But later i may move up to a total of 3 cards, so icould schedual to record 2 shows simultaneously.

Besides parts, i'm looking for any lessons learned by others who have done it, IE: Make sure the case you get has X number of fans, or, Dust is an issue, i do blah blah blah to prevent it.

or I found that blah blah wifi cards are easier to work with MythTV than most others

Just stuff that i should know before i start buying parts for my system