Anyone work out after 7:00 pm? V. issue with nutrition

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lif, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lif

lif New Member

Anyone work out that late? I have to since i work from 7-6 every day. My issue with it is that it really only gives me little time to eat, i get back from the gym at about 8:30, eat a big meal of carbs + protein at 9:15, then im stumped on what I should eat before I go to bed.

Since it was just after i worked out, should I take another meal high in carbs + protein for some more anabolicness, or since im going to bed, some cottage cheese + flax oil for prevent catabolism?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

have a protein shake + good carbs at the gym and on the drive home

eat your meal at 930ish

then before bed have a casein protein source

3. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

8pm-6am 10 hour shift crew :wiggle:

I have had to make alot of adjustments

4. lif

lif New Member

Yea thats what I do, i sip on 30 g of dextrose and 20 g of isolate during my workout, then post workout I chug the same thing.

And i've been eating 20 g worth of protein via cottage cheese before bed + some flax oil.

5. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

healthy fats, lean protein, and fibrous carbs before bed. what time you work out doesn't really matter, i don't get home from the gym until 11PM sometimes...like tonight

6. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

low fat cheese before bed if you're wondering about a caesin protein source.

7. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

same here...but two hours later

8. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

This is why I have such a hard time getting to the gym. The only gym around for 30 miles closes at 9 pm. WTF is up with that.

9. lif

lif New Member

Yea but you've got quite a good window of opportunity post workout... most of your carbs go to replenishing glycogen stores and most of the protein to muscle synthesis... this is my dilemma, it'll get used up quickly, so i don't know if I should take a slow digesting protein over-night to prevent catabolism, or the protein+carbs for some anabolism. It seems that most people are suggesting the slow digesting protein.

10. DeuceJuice

DeuceJuice New Member

i found that its nice to eat solid protein after a night workout (soft meats after 6pm... fish/tuna/whatever) and then a few hrs later i have a protein shake right before bed. i iahve some fruit with dinner, but i never really needed the carbs at night, as i get plenty of complex carbs during the day, a lot in the morning.

11. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

i am trying to figure out if a peanut butter and jelly + 1sc whey + waffles = good night cap :confused:

12. Chris3G

not really, you don't want the starchy carbs before bed.

but, keep in mind these are pretty minor details. If you're keeping to within your daily intake, and that's what you like before bed, then go for it. If you want the optimal pre-bed nutrition, that isn't it.

13. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

im just bulking, i guess at some point soon i should tighten up. im going for the gusto, i look for protein, not too much fat and fuck it ill take some carbs :hsugh:

or no?

14. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i use to work out at like 11pm to like 12am.

I used to the night pumps.

15. lif

lif New Member

You really should eat some carbs postworkout... protein alone doesn't cut it, you're shortchanging yourself. And make sure its not fruit, you need something to spike your insulin, something complex like whole wheat bread/pasta/pita.

16. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

I work from 7am to 8 or 9 every night. I go straight to the gym from work MWF and then go home and eat a shake and just before bed I make myself two chicken breast sandwiches and whatever else i have laying around.

17. Chris3G

i dont use any carbs postworkout when dieting. A standard volume workout + some low intensity cardio does not really deplete glycogen all that much. The only circumstances where i think postworkout carbs are really necessary are for endurance athletes, or if you are specifically performing a routine designed for maximum depletion (for example, you are following UD2).

18. lif

lif New Member

When you cut you never took any carbs post-workout? It's been proven that not taking any carbs post-workout significantly increases the catabolic effects of working-out, by not taking carbs post-workout you can actually really hinder your muscle strength and size in my opinion, but mind you, you've proven that whatever your doing works, so who am I to talk.

19. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Link to study?

20. Chris3G

i don't think that has been proven.

i use BCAA's pre and during workout, and a solid meal with healthy fats and protein shortly afterward. If i'm bulking, then i'll have carbs, but like i said, a standard workout for most people just doesn't deplete all that much.

21. lif

lif New Member

This was in John Berardi's solving the post-workout puzzle, before surge was around.

In looking over this list, there are several things to keep in mind. First, remember that glycogen replenishment is important for several things. It's necessary for maintaining peak performance in both resistance and endurance training (3,4,5). In addition, if glycogen stores remain low, muscle protein breakdown can result and lead to loss of muscle mass (6). Finally, since glycogen attracts water to the muscle, the cellular hydration that results may stimulate new growth.

The authors of this study concluded that at rest, insulin was anabolic, while after exercise insulin was anti-catabolic. These results have been validated by other studies showing that high blood levels of insulin considerably diminish post-workout protein breakdown without impacting protein synthesis during the post-workout period (17).

3. Foersvarsmedicin; 3, 85-99, 1967.
    4. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica; 71, 334-346, 1965.
    5. Sports Med; 21(1), 7-17, 1996.
    6. Journal of Applied Physiology; 48, 624-629, 1980
    17. Journal of Applied Physiology; 82, 1882-1888, 1997.

22. Crazzy_Al

Crazzy_Al New Member

After 7:00pm gym crew right here. :(

23. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

after 11pm gym crew

24. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

leaving for gym in like 10....its 12:49am now.

25. Crazzy_Al

Crazzy_Al New Member

My gym fucking blows. Closes at 10pm on the weekday, 8pm on Saturday, and 6 on Sunday. But hey, it opens at some rediculous ass time like 5:00am. That's just gay. I hate getting up to take a piss in the morning (before alarm goes off) let alone doing a shit load of cardio and lifting bright and early.

I have to change that though, I desperately need to get up 1 hour earlier and blast out an hour of cardio on the stationary bike in my garage EVERY morning from now on. I need to drop another 20 of fat and fast...with no fat burning suppst!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.