SRS Anyone work on a cruise ship?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by steel sparky, Mar 21, 2009.

1. steel sparky

steel sparky New Member

Hey guys,

I was interested in knowing if anyone has work aboard a cruise ship. I've found websites out there that require money for listings and I'm not really sure if its worth it.

I've been recently laid off and really want a change in my life. I would also like to travel. I have a associates degree if that helps in any way. I would like a job that does have some free time, but I can also work long hours. I used to be an electrician, so some sort of maintenance, or setup job would be cool I guess. Really I'd take on any job as long as there was time to check out the ports.

Anyone with experience? Thanks

2. mkashew

mkashew New Member

It actually looks like a fun job I saw a show about it, I think it was on Travel Channel.

Edit: well not for an electrician iunno anything about that.

3. steel sparky

steel sparky New Member

Yeah I think it would be. I don't care if it an electrical job, really anything hands on would be good. I just think it would be a great opportunity to travel and meet some new people.

4. steel sparky

steel sparky New Member

bump for day crew

5. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

dont ever pay money to get a job, that's the first sign of a scam

6. steel sparky

steel sparky New Member

werd

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Search this forum-I rememmber a large thread on this in the past.

Cliffs: It's fun for a while if you are single and aren't close to family.

8. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

As some one who knows people who have worked on cruises I am strongly telling you not to. The hours are shit and you hardly get free time to yourself. You might go into it because you like traveling but you'll be lucky if you ever get a chance to leave the ship. Plus, you won't be doing much traveling since you'll be going to the same place over and over again. Cruise ships are also apparently very hierarchical so you'll be the bitch. In addition, the living conditions aren't that great. Unless you are some one high up chances are you will be living in a small cabin with three other people.

9. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

We went on a cruise for our honeymoon and my impression of the staff is that THEY WORK THERE DAMNED ASSES OFF.

My wife and I were impressed that the official camerawoman for the ship was at everything. It seemed like every time we turned around, there she was.

And our waiter. That guy was great, but again - worked his ass off.

I got a hair cut while I was onboard and I chatted with the chick cutting my hair. She said they get 1 day off a week and can be severly disciplined if they are seen in the public area and not dressed according to a dress code. Like, one day you have to be formal - she is not permitted in public unless she is formally dressed.

I asked her if she ever hobknobed with the guests, she was like, 'Yeah if I want to get fired.'.

10. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

If you want to travel and truly see the world, join the navy. It sounds like on a cruise ship you hit the same ports and don't get very much leave.

11. BlackBlood

BlackBlood New Member

i've considered it and might do it, actually. or look into it. idk in what capacity, although i do have some experience in customer relations / customer service. and some bartending. i'm not sure if i would want to be a waiter or a janitor or anything like that. i would like to work as something fun. a "meet and greet" sort of person. someone who takes care of passenger needs. hell, even if its a glorified gofer of some sort. or in security. which i also have some experience in

i've heard the pay isn't bad and its rent free, food free, all that stuff. so if you are kind of at loose ends "on shore" or can cut expenses somehow, you can save lots of money. i'm single atm and have no kids or plans of marriage or anything....so i am honestly considering it