GUN Anyone with older Winchester shotgun knowledge?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HSTexan, May 14, 2009.

1. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

My grandfather passed away back in 1999, but was an avid gun collector/shooter. His collection has sat in his safe at my grandmother's house pretty much untouched (except when shot once a year when either myself, father, or uncles go visit), but recently my father and I were discussing the collection. This collection is about 70 guns deep with probably about 15-20 pistols, 40-45 rifles, and about 5-8 shotguns. We (my 2 uncles, father, and myself) agreed we would all get one of the guns, and any additional ones we would have to pay for.

The gun originally supposed to be mine is a Winchester Model 62A .22 pump, which was the first gun I learned to shoot at 6. This is still my gun, because it was always my favorite growing up, but seeing as how I'm the only grandson, I know my grandmother would let me take another if I wanted. Really only one of my uncles made a deal about paying for additional ones. I had been thinking I would take a shotgun, since I recently started going dove/duck hunting with friends.

Long story short, the shotguns he has are Winchester Model 24, Model 12, Model 120 Ranger, and Model 101 XTR and a Remington Model 17 (20 gauge). Out of those, which would you choose and which have you heard good/bad things about. Anyone have any ideas how much those are worth. And the Model 62A...I know that is a fairly collectible gun and it is in very, very good condition. My grandfather always took extreme care with his firearms. We believe it is the pre-war Model 62A with the small grip. Any help would be appreciated.

Cliffs: Pick one and why: Winchester Model 24, Model 12, Model 120 Ranger, Model 101 XTR or Remington Model 17.

2. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

i'd go with the over under xtr I think its worth the most and a good one for bird hunting

3. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Wierd that you guys arent just splitting them up, unless your Grandma is hard up for money. I would want that stuff to stay in the family.

Sorry for not having shotgun advice :hs:

4. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

She definitely isn't hard up for money. Along with being a great gun collector, he was also very smart when it came to playing the market. That and he was in oil (Exxon) for many years. That's what I was thinking too. He has a lot of awesome guns, Highway Patrolman, Ruger Super Blackhawk, M1 Carbine, the list goes on and on. I would have figured we would split them all up, but that was not my uncle's idea. Also, forgot to mention, I would feel guilty on taking the XTR. I did some digging and while we don't know the "grade" yet, I would feel back taking that out hunting and letting it drop over in the mud.

I think my dad is going to try to get that one to have. Sounds more like a collectible and maybe shoot some skeet or something with it

5. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

using a gun > making it a safe queen. IMHO, you would be giving the gun and your grandfather more respect by taking something you would use and take care of rather than something you're going to stick in a safe.

If all you're concerned about is monetary value i dont know what to tell you

6. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

That's my point...I think as of now I have it narrowed down to the Model 12 and Model 120 Ranger. Both look like guns I could use and not feel horrible about if they ended up getting a few knicks along the way

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

If it's between those two go with the Model 12, no question about it.

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I have a model 1912 (model 12) that I got from my grandfather, its been sitting for 18 years and I am in the process of a complete strip and clean. It is a solid gun, I would say take the model 12.

9. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

I was looking at this dudes review of a video of the Model 12 and he mentioned it having kind of like a button that you have to press every time you want to cycle a round. Like you pump it, shoot, then the pump locks and you have to press this little button at the back of the trigger guard on the left side to release the lock in order to pump it again. Seems like a pain if you're trying to squeeze a few out really quickly at a bird or two

Was also seeing the 120 Ranger is basically a skimped down version of the 1200/1300 and that you could actually swap a lot of parts from those guns...worth it? I was looking and the Ranger 120 actually didn't look that bad. Does the Model 12 have interchangable chokes? The one sitting in the safe right now said it had a full choke on it and I'm not sure if it was interchangable.

10. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You only have to press the slide release if the internal hammer is still cocked, if you fire the gun you can rack it just fine though if dry firing you have to kind of push the pump forward to unlock it then pull back; this doesn't need to be done when live firing as the recoil does it for you. Actually the model 12 has no disconnector so in reality you could squeeze a few out as fast you can work the pump.

Oh and I just confirmed this all (except for the lack of disconnector obviously) with the model 12 I have in the corner; I haven't fired it in about a year so I wanted to make sure I wasn't so how wrong in my thinking.

11. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Thanks for the input...sounds like the Model 12 is the way to go...I think my dad is going to try to get the XTR for shooting clays and such. I know I don't need that right now

12. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Your uncle is going to go jack all the guns.

13. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Make sure you keep him away from the bandsaw.

14. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

:rofl: that guy was a piece of shit who did that

15. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

from what i remember of my dad's Model 12, is that it has no disconnector so load up the tube pull and hold the trigger down and just cycle the action as fast as you can.