SRS Anyone with OCD or "stuck thoughts?"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TopGun113, Feb 16, 2010.

1. TopGun113

TopGun113 Winning

Lately I'm going nuts replaying things in my head. Everything I've read about OCD or "stuck thoughts" or "thought loops" are that you replay negative experiences, irrational fears, etc. I don't do any of that.

Mine is more of a "I forget what I was just thinking about" and then I obsess over it. Example: I'll walk into the kitchen and be thinking about something stupid like work, or a tv commercial that was just on and then I'll get distracted by something else... and then I go "wait, what was I just thinking about before that?" And then I obsess over it for a few minutes or hours. Sometimes I remember -and it always ends up being something trivial- but usually I don't remember and it's driving me nuts.

What should I do? :o

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I often do the same thing, but a little different. I take a minute or two to try to remember what it was that I was thinking before. If I just can't think of it, I just accept it and go back to doing whatever.

It happens a lot at the movie rental store or at the book store.

Although it may be easier said than done, just tell yourself "Sometimes memory doesn't always work the way we want it to. I'll think of it later," and just continue with your day. I can understand how it could be hard though.

3. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

thought loops, or intrusive thoughts are a symptom of stress, and a possible symptom of ADD. grounding techniques, or possibly therapy will help you.

what do your thought loops usually entail?

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Every time I forget something I just was thinking I stop trying to think about it, then I go get something to drink or go to the bathroom or something and read a magazine while you shit. Get your head out of it and then I replay everything and it all leads me to what I was thinking.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You need to add a brake to your brain.

If you think you need to remember it , say to yourself 'like last times its something trivial, so i won't bother to think about it', And then forcefully move on to the next subject.

6. Jcrash

Jcrash 93.till.infinity-ing

Inattentive ADD

I smell my own kind

7. Sooka

Sooka New Member

I always have thought loops, especially whenever I have a bad experience with something, it sticks with me forever. I still think about things I regretted in middle school and always think about how different my life would have been if it weren't for certain experiences. It kills my self-esteem and makes me hate myself.