Anyone willing to donate som computer parts?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have a friend that got laid off not too long ago. Her laptop died last week. I called support for it, they told me that it was a recalled part (motherboard) that gave out - but the recall window was closed.
    I was so pissed.
    They wanted $250 for the repair. It being a laptop, I don't have a lot of choices.

Not only doesn't she have the $250, she is pretty much full on broke.

I got on Craigslist. I found a FREE monitor. I am picking that up this evening.

I found a Dell Dimension 4400 for $25. It has a bad hard drive and only has 128 megs of memory.

I think I can come up with a mouse/keyboard. I can definitely come up with all software (this will be an XP build).

What I NEED is at minnimum a 20 Gig EIDE hard drive.

After that what would be nice is memory - DDR PC2700 or better.

A video card (what is in it is a Rage ATI card. This is really fine for an XP build... I guess I don't really need this, but if you have something better that is just sitting around... and you don't mind donating it.... shoot me an email).

If you are willing to donate the parts I will pay shipping. I will Paypal the cost to you.

Thanks.

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

For the love of......

1. This is the computer techies forum. The sort of people that hang out here have a box of spare parts for old hardware sitting in there basement or attic.
    This is a good cause. I assume that there are people here that would rather someone out of work and out of luck make use of those parts then have those parts gather dust.

2. I have been doing this sort of work for years. I know all about windows and such. I have a LEGAL windows install just waiting for them.

3. I spent an hour on the phone with HP with that laptop. The dude wouldn't budge. These people don't have $25 let alone $250 for a laptop repair.

4. Ebay is a TERRIBLE place to get a cheap computer.

5. The price to send a couple pieces of ram through the mail will be about $5. A hard drive will be a bit more - like $10 or $12. I expect a video card (which the more I think about the less I want) to be around $8 or $10.

6. If you are coming into this thread just to dump shit on it... well don't. Find some other good use of your time. This threads existence does you no harm.

None of those items can be gotten cheaper then that.

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Out of my fucking thread.

4. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

Did you look at the link? You can get a working tower for less than the headache is worth from chasing down parts.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Nope. No interest in the link.

The last thing I want is to deal with ebay people about this.

What I haven't told you is that I spent a year doing volunteer work for a local charity where I would peruse Craigslist for parts and put together working computers for the needy.

My wife quit her job and I had to stop doing it (my wifes job WAS the charity, which made my volunteer work awkward when she quit)

I have a source where I can pay for those parts. I am going to pay a bit more then I would for shipping.

The bottom line is that if you have a box of parts sitting gathering dust - and these parts are so old that for a good percentage of us that is all they are doing - this is an opportunity for you to help out some people that are down on there luck. You don't even need to pay shipping.

Now please, enough with this ebay bullshit. Either post in this thread and say, 'Hell yes I got just what you need' or leave this thread alone. I would rather it die cause no one is willing to give up the parts then for it to get derailed about ebay bullshit and asshole newbies.

Thanks.

6. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I have 512MB of DDR memory laying on my desk, and I might have a spare HDD too.

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I have enough spare parts to build a computer. I wouldn't want to let them all go for nothing though, if you throw a little something extra along with shipping I'll gladly throw them your way. :dunno:

I'll look at what I have when I get home.

8. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Where are you located?

9. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

dude, shut up.

10. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I am located in Lancaster Pennsylvania.

I had an ex girlfriend that was rear ended by a horse and buggy.

11. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Holy crap eidetacker, where YOU located?

12. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

why not just post a wanted free pc stuff on cl?

i've responded to a few of these and have given away stuff.

got any colleges or universities by you? look up their surplus site and check out their warehouse. by the time you get to it, there are cleaned old out barebones machines, but most of it is essentially free or dirt cheap.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

I've got a WD 40g hard drive I can donate to the cause.

I'll pay shipping.

You have to promise, though, that you (or she) will return the favor when she's in a position to........yes, the pay if forward model.

PM me.

14. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Oh wow 7960. Yeah.
    One of the things I was gonna ask of them is that when they are done to contact me. I have a place in Lititz that recycles old computer parts to fund a program for the mentally handicapped. I think it is an excellent cause. I will PM you my address. Thanks.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

replied...it'll be in the mail tomorrow.

have to wipe it first :noes:

16. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

I have an old ti4200 that may or may not work. My old computer died a while ago and I never got around to figuring out exactly what the cause was, it may have been the video card. If you want to take a chance on it I could ship it out to you :dunno:

I also believe I have some DDR memory from that system, I'll have to take a look when I get home.

17. 7960

7960 New Member

mailed.

they said to expect it maybe friday, saturday at the latest.

18. glen5839

glen5839 LS1 Elitist Prick Mod Super Moderator

removed kimslands posts as they weren't helpful.

19. freshie

freshie New Member

hey man, im in royersford, work in a pawn shop, we got tons of pc parts

shoot me a pm with what your looking for, i'll see what i can scrounge up and will ship it to you, but like the previous poster said, as long as she pays it forward :big grin:

20. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I want to thank the people that helped me.
    I also want to thank the people that offered, but where a tad bit late (cause the parts I needed where already in the mail).

I finished the PC late last night. It is now sitting waiting to go out the door.

Good people here.

If someone wants to close this thread that would be fine.