Anyone who knows: MIS/IT administration or engineering OR a DBA

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by driftwell, Mar 4, 2005.

1. driftwell

driftwell New Member

So i took this job recently and I have no idea what I'm doing...

okay well i'm not clueless but i took this job because i want to start learning... anyways.... this is what i've got on my hands:

-Win2k Server environment
    -2 Citrix Metaframe servers
    -a SQL Server
    -a PowerVault backup server
    -Domain controller
    -File server/print server
    -a gang of problematic network printers
    -numerous hubs
    -1 switch
    -2 routers (one is a Cisco)
    -2 T1 connections

Everything seems pretty solid for now... i just check to make sure the backups went well and run a few simple SQL queries for some reports... and thats about it... besides your typical troubleshooting.

Where should i start to learn more about Active directory and Citrix? Right now... i'm barely figuring out exactly how the entire network is structured.

And yes, I'm the sole IT guy at this company. And the previous guy went over everything so fast with me in one day that i forgot everything already.

What would you guys do?

2. beez

beez New Member

I would look into investing in some O'Reilly books on any of the subjects that you're unfamiliar or uncomfortable with. I'm fairly positive that there is a book for just about everything you have to deal with (TCP/IP, Win2k, Citrix, SQL, etc). Aside from that, you can always go to the various corporations' webpages and read up on the hardware that you currently have. USENET is also a wonderful resource. The comp.* hierarchy of newsgroups should have a lot of information for you.

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Sounds like a fun way to start :naughty:

4. driftwell

driftwell New Member

isn't it a weird way to start? i wish i had someone who knew what they were doing beside me... then i can just watch what he does yenno...

anyways... yea... i have no problem reading so long as the author wrote it in a NON-MINDNumbing manner....

what's usenet? and what are some of the forums you guys would recommend?

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

For Citrix, your best bet is to check out the Administrator's guide and the Advanced Concepts guide for the version you have. They are boring as hell though. They are free and can be found on the Citrix website. Be careful with the Citrix servers until you learn a little.

There are no really good books for Citrix unfortunately. You can try Brian Madden's books. I've heard they are OK. Here are some websites for Citrix:

http://www.tokeshi.com/
    http://www.brianmadden.com/
    http://support.citrix.com/

6. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

You should also visit the websites of the equipment/software you're using, to see if they have forums. I know Veritas' forum is vastly useful :o

Otherwise, just remember to take things slowly, remember to pause and think "is this going to cause a problem if I change this?" and remember to always ask for help when you need it. You won't look stupid for doing it.

7. driftwell

driftwell New Member

cool thanks guys... i appreciate it...

yea... i have no problem asking what certain things do..... the thing is tho... theres no one here to ask since i'm the only IT guy haha...

i'll check those sites out and see if they've got forums....

i'm trying to stay away from surfing the net when there's nothing to do and instead use that time to learn.... you can't beat getting paid to learn! (quite the opposite of college)

8. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

how the fuck did you fall into this position??
    and what did you do in your previous position??

9. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

:werd:
    Do you have any experience at all?

I would suggest reading and then doing... If need be find virtual PC, download it and run as much shit on it as you can and learn.

10. driftwell

driftwell New Member

haha... i honestly have no clue... i was really straight forward with the company and told them that i have no experience running a server farm this big... i have experience setting up a server with a tpyical simple network with mapped drives and a SQL server.... but i never had something like this with dedicated servers for everything... (the setup i created was all run from one server)... the IT guy at the time told me that the system is pretty solid... and as long as i know the basics i'll be fine...

the citrix, domain controller, citrix, terminal services manager, Norton Server Grade software, print server, intranet, DVR system, the way it's all hooked up, and hell even the switch and cisco routers are all new to me. I don't even know how to get into my router to change settings (the 192.168.1.1 doesn't work)

what i have learned so far is a little little bit about active directory, users and trusts, which drives are mapped to what server, checking for successful backups, and some other little stuff. Oh and the dreaded network printing problem solving...

I've heard of virtual PC... but what exactly can i do with it?

11. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

omg

[shakes head and leaves]

12. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Would probably have been best for you to leave without replying.

13. driftwell

driftwell New Member

so... anything more constructive? i'm genuinely interested in learning this stuff...

a fwe guys from other boards have recommened some books written by brian madden.

Reading gets a lil mind-numbing for me after a while tho... i'd love to get a computer and just start trying to install stuff

14. MattR2

MattR2 New Member

"I don't even know how to get into my router to change settings (the 192.168.1.1 doesn't work)"

first off props to you for getting the job, if everything really is as solid as the previous admin said this could be a great opportunity for you. However its obvious you have a ways to go.

Fortunately M$ is M$, its really not to complex but your bound to run into the typical microsoft problems that will drive you up the wall. Definately make sure you are keeping proper backups.

The cisco shouldnt be to hard to catch up on either, just read some books (CCNA then CCNP) and follow along with your setup and you'll understand in no time.

As for connecting to the routers/switches. If www access is enabled you can simply browse to that IP (instead of 192.168.1.1), however it's most likely not enabled (and shouldnt be). The standard method is to connect through a serial connection (using rollover cable) to the console port in the back. However since your network is already setup, you can most likely connect by opening up hyperterminal and connecting over TCP/IP to the ip address of the router.

If this doesn't work there could be some mroe advanced configuration, such as ACL's that only let you in if your connecting from specific IP's, etc.

Good luck

15. driftwell

driftwell New Member

thanks Matt...

in addition to learning the stuff... i already ran into a problem... one of the computers in our will call department wouldn't connect to the citrix server to access the application. So naturally i freaked out cuz i had no clue what to do. The connection and shortcut to the citrix metaframe was missing completely. But i actually got it to work after fiddling around for a while. I successfully setup a citrix connection. (i'm so proud of myself)

anyway.... thanks for the tip on the cisco router... i found out that there's 2 gateways out into the internet here... some computers use one, the rest connect through the other... would i be able to terminal services into it?

16. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Things i would suggest learning first would be the Active Directory. This is where you manage user acounts, passwords, memberships, and other neat things for the users.

What are you guys doing for email? Is it host internally in the company (like with M$ Exchange)?

You'll should map out how the domain is structured. And it's important to know how data backups are completed and where they go.

Don't worry, i didn't know all this in my first and current IT job. you'll learn it as you go.

17. driftwell

driftwell New Member

yea our email is actually hosted externally... so its easy (i've heard horror stories about setting up exchange server)

i've got the basics down on active directory... i know how to add users and reset their passwords.... but i'm still trying to grasp the rights and group policies and containers and stuff like that.

Can you use active directory to "publish" an application so the application will run off the server? I wanna learn how to do that first before i learn how to do it with citrix

18. MattR2

MattR2 New Member

typically you can connect to any interface that has an ip address unless there is restrictions set. If you have any problems all you need is a rollover cable that connects to the the serial port on your computer (through an adapter) and to the console port on the back of the devices.

If you have to gateways then there is obviously some sort of advanced configuration that is used to segment your users. This could simply be done by assigning different subnets different default gateways, or it could be extremely complex.

If the guy before you really did have everything under control he should have a lot of documentation for you to go through. Thats the first thing your really going to want to find.

19. driftwell

driftwell New Member

well thats the thing... the previous guy didn't leave me with much at all... i took this job thinking he would... but turns out he doesn't.... previous guy was pretty sloppy when it came to documentation unfortunately.

20. MattR2

MattR2 New Member

wow that really sucks. If you got any more questions feel free to message me, and i'll try to check in here every now and then.

Also if you want I'd gladly go through the config's for all your cisco equipment and try to tell you what exactly is going on etc, help you with documentation. But I'd understand if your wary of showing the configurations (security risk).