MIL Anyone who humps..... what type of socks do you use?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Insdav3, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:rofl:

But seriously. :squint: What kind of special socks or advice can you give me when going on 10K + humps with the pack on? I think it would be cool if they developed something that wouldn't make feet tear apart like mine do. Gel socks or something.

:dunno:

2. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

Under Armour socks are good. As are any cotton type boot socks.

The trick is baby powder (or gold bond) and bring lots of socks and change often..

But to really answer your question; why DON'T you get some inserts for your boots? There's nothing that says you can't have them.. I had the top of the line ones from Dr. Scholl before they came out with the gel inserts.. If I still wore boots a lot then I would try those..

3. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Im not in the Corps yet but my uncle hooked me up with some good socks for when I do practice humps(YES I said practice humps, im NOT gonna be the motherfucker to fall out/back). I forgot the name of em but you can find em at any good sporting goods store in the hiking dept. theyre THICK AS HELL but comfortable to, basicaly its gonna be the socks that give you fuckin sticker shock at like $10 a pair. You lookin for extra blister protection or wat? A tip that I havent tried yet (I have pretty callused up feet so blisters are few and far between even on long humps/hikes) is to get some dress socks and wear under your boot socks. Hope some of this helps .

O yea forgot about moleskin, everybody I know with tender feet uses this stuff to help with blisters. One more thing those socks I mentioned are expensive but they last a LONG fucking time so just think about it as a long term investment for ur feet and blood pressure when u dont see holes in ur shit after gettin back.

4. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

You actually want to stay away from cotton socks because they absorb the moisture and don't dry out. Wool socks work much better. Look for foxriver blister guard, wigwam, or thorlo hiking socks. I spent like $8 a pair for the blister guard kind. Another thing to do is get the moisture wicking thin socks to wear under the thick sock.

I've never used any of the all synthetic type socks, but those might work well also. I think those cost more.

Another thing that I really like is this stuff called Body Glide. You can buy it at running stores. Basically looks like deodorant. You rub it on your feet, jock area, etc (buy 2 so you aren't mixing jock/foot nastiness). It prevents chaffing and blistering.

5. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

white socks with black socks over them for the win

6. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

:bowdown:
    Focus on getting good fitting shoes and inserts

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

.....i don't hump in shoes :hsugh:

8. hooahrcr

hooahrcr Chris_Hearn

10K? shouldn't be a problem no matter what sock you wear but wigwam FTW

9. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Exactly what I was going to post. Wear boots that are properly broken in, socks, and you should be good to go. 6 miles isn't really enough distance to cause blisters that would be anything more than a fun night sitting at home alone with a needle.

10. Dzl

Dzl New Member

FoxRiver AntiBlister socks.

11. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

Regular OD green socks bought at clothing and sales for $7 (3 pairs). I put duct tape on my heels, the balls of my feet, and the edges of my toes that rub.

12. Accord

Accord New Member

In the latest issue of Leatherneck they got this advertisement for these neoprene booty type thing that you wear inside of your sock, supposedly it's prevents all blisters.

13. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Gel insoles = teh lose. That shit made bad blisters from rubbing on my feet so much.

14. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Smartwool, or similar socks made from that special wool... The last the longest without washing of any sock I have worn.

15. Capitals

Capitals Guest

I just wore my normal socks, and my favirote pair of boots on all our humps. Never had an issue. :dunno:

Then again I'm not a grunt either, the only humps we did were boot/MCT and even on the 15k I didn't have a problem with just a pair of normal boot socks.

16. Capitals

Capitals Guest

:rolleyes:

Dry socks, broken in boots that fit properly and footpowder the night before. Just treat your feet like you should the rest of your gear and you'll be alright, it's all about preventitive maintence.

17. Accord

Accord New Member

I see people saying "bring lots of socks... change your socks often"

Pretty simple question, but how do you know when to change your socks on a hump? Only when your feet get wet/extremely sweaty?

18. Accord

Accord New Member

How often are those, like every 5 miles?

19. Diedemus

Diedemus Google is my HMO

when I was in in 98 we got one 20 minute break at the half way point, but I was in India company .... anyone that was in the usmc at Paris Island should know how that goes