Anyone want to review my cover letter for a web developer position for me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Oct 18, 2008.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm a 23 year old web developer, been working freelance for the past year and I'm bored and sick of it. I found a php/mysql web developer position at a really cool company I'm going to apply for. They've got a big section on their website talking about their "Work hard, Play hard" type of Work environment and it seems like it'd be a really fun place to work.

Can OT give me some feedback on my cover letter :x:? I tried to explain my enthusiasm for what I do, cover my basic skills and give real world examples of how I've used them to benefit the company. I'm wondering if it's too long?

Any advice is greatly appreciated :wavey:. This is one I'd really like to get.

All formatting and contact info cut out

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I was going to rework the whole thing, but I'll just suggest a new first paragraph instead:

I'm sure someone who knows more about web development can help streamline the rest of your letter, but to be honest, you don't want to narrate your resume in your cover letter. Just get the point across that you know how to do what they need done, and because of that and other, less tangible reasons, you're the guy they want to hire to do it. If they want your brain's spec sheet, they can flip to your resume on the next page.

Keep in mind the average project manager has about ten minutes at a stretch to devote to reviewing applications, and you want to punch him in the face with your utter perfection for the job -- but without coming off as egotistical -- in order to keep him from flipping to the next guy.

3. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Thanks for the input :wavey:. That sounds a little more professional than my version. Your points on regurgitating my resume and the length are what I was worried about.

Tomorrow I may start off by shortening the long paragraph (3rd) by taking out some of the technical details. I read somewhere to try and show the difference you made, not just what you did. That's what I was trying to do there.

Here's the guidelines I tried to follow while writing it

[​IMG]

Thanks again for your help. :hsd: