anyone want a job?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Feb 26, 2004.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Working from home? And no this isnt a scam or anything I been doing it since Last year in may. reiger is my boss. can see the link here
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231406&highlight=100megswebhosting

We post one ad per month looking for new help, were gonna be posting another one here soon again, thought maybe Id try here, see if any OTer 'geek' wants a job, needs some money that sorta thing. In three months though we havent found anyone that best suites the job, we hire someone but they never work out. Its easy work, you work from your house, your apartment, your couch, your recliner or whatever, but everyone we hire turns out to be lazy :greddy: or their resume's are well padded but when they actually do the work its apparent they don't know linux. The new guy we hired about a week ago he aint working out to well, so we need someone else.

Have any questions feel free to ask me. :)

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I ammm soooooo interested in this position, I know very little linux, just enough to get around and what not...I am learning as I go along :hs:

I will apply anyways :hs:

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'd apply if I had time to work in the morning and into the afternoon hours.

4. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Between work and class I am pretty much swamped. :big grin:

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: Wish I could apply.. but I already work 12-15 hours a day as it is. :(

7. What level support is this? cPanel makes me think level I? but DNS starts sounding like II+ ...

8. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i was thinking the same thing... wonder what kind of admin stuff it really is..

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

After being trained you could have any shift I think you want I guess, depends on what you work out with the owner. We give you 30 days basically to see how well you work out. I work mornings into afternoons and I'm the training tech so people have to start out in the morning unfortunatly.

What is involved is a wide spectrum of support. I do mostly the system administration, but when I'm not around the other techs don't know what to do when they encounter an issue that they are unaware of. Some do, some don't. Hence we could use a backup person who can not only answer tickets, but check out an issue. The ticket rate varies from day to day but the best days are thursday and fridays, its low. Ive answered probably 22 thousand tickets in almost a years time. They range from billing to email problems. This morning we had a severe email problem on one server, that another tech could not figure out. Checking out the iptables you could see a block on an IP. Bad block is all it was... just as an example.

You do whatever you think is neccessary, you use your own judgement and you work at your own pace (provided your not to terribly slow). Someone sends in a ticket, I can't recieve email, there is a list of things you could go through just to see what all is wrong. Partition might be full, service may not be running or stay running, high loads, over usage of scripts and programs it can be a wide range of things. So its not one particular catagorey. All our servers are colo'd in two spots, if hardware goes bad, we can grab something out of another system and go from there. Theres 35 shared servers, dozens of dedicated customers, theres plenty a person can do in one day.

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

what is the pay?

11. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Hourly Wage, varies on your experience, but you start at 7$ an hour, Its nothing big, :happysad: considering you work at home, no taxes taken out of your paycheck and you do your own thing. i make about 10 an hour but it averages out to 12.50 when i work extra hours

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  12. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

13. col_panic

:eek3:

:rofl:

14. Leb_CRX

Im in for 7$ an hour, after conversation rate to CDN funds, it's like 20342034 dollars an hour

I am gonna apply when I get home :eek3d:

15. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Considering the amount of people we've hired turned out to know nothing more then how to turn on a computer its the starting wage, sorry. I dont issue the wages, but I cant complain. Not having to pay for gas, kinda working when I want, put in as many hours as I want, its extra money on the side. I can understand making 50-60K or better a year if you worked in the data center, but your just answering tickets, not re-programming a linux box.

Thought if someone needed some extra cash or something It was an offer, sorry.

16. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:werd:

Sounds interesting, but the price explains your problem of not finding qualified people. There's no way you're going to find experienced and qualified linux support people for $7 an hour. I make more than double that doing just mindless helpdesk work that doesn't even involve any real technical ability. For work like this I'd more than likely want at least $15/hr or so - and that's low based on being able to work from home.

I may check it out just for kicks, but seriously - $7 is ridiculously low for any type of unix support position.

17. Leb_CRX

applied, put in a good word for me :hs:

18. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

7 dollars? heh

19. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Ive seen ads posted in the paper a couple of times last year Ev1 datacenter were hiring full time datacenter/noc techs for 8 an hour, :dunno:

20. col_panic

when it says "working with FTP, SSH, DNS" does that mean just using them or admining FTP and DNS servers? i think the qualifications should be clearer.

you might provide an example of "basic systems administration skills" - adding users? setting permissions? if you just want them to know a few commands or user administration interfaces then say so. i realize you are not the one who sets the wage or writes the requirements, but you probably should let that person know that they need to explain these things better. having skills with *nix can be an extremely broad category - from knowing how to install it to knowing how to use it for everything *nix can do (which is a LOT)