Anyone using the new Firefox 2.0 beta?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Apothis, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Apothis

Apothis New Member

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0b1/

I've been using it today on Windows and OS X and I'm impressed so far. It's could stand to be a little more stable, but it is still beta. As would be expected, it broke most of my extensions but not all. For the most part it looks about the same except it now has the "close tab" x-button on the current active tab itself instead of all the way to the right. Also, now, when you close a tab, it automatically returns focus to the previous tab regardless of if it's next on the left or not. There used to be an extension for this feature and I think it rocks that they made it default behavior. And, upon apparently misspelling "behavior", it seems the new built-in spell checker is also good to go. This looks like it will be a good release.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Did they fix the memory leak? Or rather, did they figure out how to keep Firefox from wanting to use so damn much memory? It's an internet browser, not AutoCAD; it has no business eating up hundreds of megabytes of RAM when it could just as easily cache inactive tabs onto the hard drive.

3. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

its got some new features, doesnt look like they fixed the memory leak though, mines using 143,000kb

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I've been using the nightlies for a few weeks now.
    Got my many extensions working thanks to the
    nightly tester tools
    extension (you can use it to force extensions to be enabled, even though they MIGHT be broken (all the extensions I've tried work)).

I'm not incredibly excited about any of the new features. In themselves I don't think they're worthy of a major release (2.0), but they're doing it so they get more attention when IE7 comes out which is fair enough.

All the really cool stuff - places, xulrunner, cairo, the new reflow stuff (which passes acid2), and hopefully full SVG 1.1 support are coming in 3.0 (the cairo stuff's already in the 3.0 nightlies, and places too but it's incomplete I think).

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes. I downloaded it. It crashes.

But so does 1.5.

But so does 1.0.

You know what?

THERE ISN'T A STABLE VERSION OF FIREFOX FOR INTEL MACS.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!

Its really pissing me off.

6. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I'm on a intel mac and it's fine. 2.0 beta has crashed one me once on my windows pc at work, and crashed once on my imac tonight. Both were just on first run extension-checking.

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Modern operating systems swap less-used parts of ram to the harddrive anyhow ;)

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It crashes and freezes on me frequently when using several tabs, like every 3 hours, and rhapsody's plugin kills it every third song. 1.0 is a little more stable, but not much.

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Are you sure it's not an unstable extension or plugin that's causing it to crash?

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Rhapsody is the only non-firefoxy plugin I have. Maybe its making it crash, I dunno. But I need it! :(

11. deusexaethera

What I mean is that, if Firefox wants to store tons of pages in the same memory space, it should use a scratch file like Adobe Photoshop has so that it can have its quick-access storage without eating up the RAM.

It's not like it really makes a difference to me anyway; I don't use FF and I have 2GB of RAM with no swapfile. I might consider using FF someday, if IE7 is as shitty in production as it is in beta.

12. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Compile it yourself, you lazy fuck :squint:

13. deusexaethera

Alcohol makes people crash, but some of them need it anyway. Doesn't mean it's okay.

You should really get help, Peyomp. It's sad to see an honest, hardworking man spiral downwards like this.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Problem solved! Safari works with rhapsody now. I can get mah tunes fix... :noes:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's confirmed, the memory leak is STILL not fixed. Firefox is blaming the gecko rendering engine, but other gecko-based browsers don't have the leak problem, so I'm not buying it.

Bottom line, it's gonna take a ground-up re-write to fix that leak, methinks.

fuck firefox. I went to Opera back in version 5, and it is STILL the best browser on the market.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Does... flash, quicktime, etc. work with it? What about gmail?

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yep... here's a screencap showing quicktime video showing (apple movie trailer) flash (pb&j 2k6) and gmail.

[​IMG]

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm gonna try it. Safari pinwheels on me and becomes unresponsive. Firefox crashes. Maybe Opera is the answer.

19. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Where did you find this?

I would LOVE to see some technical details about this famous "memory leak". I find that FF uses quite a lot of memory with few tabs open, but as you open loadsa tabs the memory usage doesn't climb that high (it usually takes alot of work to bring it up to 200 MiB). ATM it has 146 MiB virtual memory with 7 tabs open. With one tab open it would not be much less than that.

When I opened gmail just there the virtual memory went up to 173 MiB - fuck. edit: ok after a while the usage went back down, so it's not so worrying.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  20. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I've had FF running all day at work with 17 tabs and I'm sitting at 88MB.

21. deusexaethera

I am gonna laugh my ass off if Internet Explorer is the only browser you can use without it crashing.

22. deusexaethera

That's fucking stupid. If they think the gecko rendering engine has anything to do with it, why don't they use a different rendering engine?

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

because gecko *is* mozilla... Firefox is just a gui shell wrapped around gecko. Netscape is the same... a gui shell wrapped around gecko. They stopped development on netscape because it's basically firefox with the mail client and irc clients built-in. FireFox using something other than gecko is like Intel saying they're gonna use a northbridge designed and built by AMD... Just doesn't make sense.

24. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

Pretty cool, I never knew the memory thing about firefox. I am on opera now and its very featureful. I am looking through the keyboard shortcuts and I can't seem to find one that selects the address bar. You know like Alt+D does in IE or firefox. Is there a shortcut for that? That's the major one I use saves alot of mousing

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Opera looks kinda... ugly to me.