Anyone used an APC 1500 rack UPS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Uhhh... nevermind, the site says that it will last 55 minutes on 300W load :)

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure you're looking at RMS wattage, not peak volt-amperage. VA = the highest instant wattage at any point along the AC sinewave (i.e. the distance between peak and trough), whereas RMS = the average wattage across an entire sinewave, which comes out to approximately 2/3 of the VA.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

They have an estimator on their website, and the Suns burn about 300W per hour.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I've used lots of them at customer sites over the years as well as in our own offices. They work fine and should get you within 90% of the APC site estimate (they are usually a tad high, go figure). Just understand that you will need to replace the battery packs every 18-24 months (but this is true of most battery backups anyway).

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thanks for the reply. It has been suggested by my systems guy that we have a 5-10 minute max period on battery before we shutdown. If we have frequent power outages, and we let the thing run the battery down for half an hour or 45 minutes, we'll kill the battery faster than if we never tax it, yeah? If the power is out, nobody is using a reporting server, is the rationale, so we can shutdown and come back when we get power back.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yep. These are led acid batteries, so they don't get memory but they do have a limited number of discharge-recharge cycles. The more time you spend on battery the shorter the battery life. Keep in mind that many UPSs will trickle themselves to death even if they are under no load. My desktop UPS (a 1500) will only run 80 minutes even with no load at all because of the power draw of the UPS itself.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Interesting.