Anyone used a slingbox?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Izze, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Izze

Izze New Member

Or a device similar? I am looking to hook one up to my TV in Iowa so I can watch the local news while I am on the road.

Does anyone have a review on this equipment?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

http://corp.orb.com/mytv

this is basically the software version of a slingbox

however, my upstream on my dsl is shit, so using a slingbox would result in a pretty low quality picture

3. nokom

nokom New Member

i have a slingbox and use it all the time when i am away from the house. its a great buy.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

They work well. I have a couple friends that still work for the cable company and use them to stream to their Blackberries. Work great for that. Decent picture when not in full screen on a laptop. You'll need a connection that isn't highly utilized to connect it to.

5. tinug

tinug Guest

what is it

6. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Dr. Mantis Toboggan New Member

Slingboxes are pretty awesome. I work at a Best Buy in the Philadelphia area and last year we were trying to watch the Eagles playoff game back in the computer department. One of the guys I work with is pretty resourceful and he used our display Slingbox and set up a router back in the home theater department and hooked it up to one of the TV's. He then connected a laptop in our department to the router, installed the software off the website, and we had our game running there on the laptop.

The only problem I have with it is that only one computer can view it at a time - The Geek Squad found out what we were doing in our department and installed it on a computer back in "The Precinct" and it turned into a fight between us and them and who got to watch it :p

But we've had some hardcore Eagles fans going to China wanting to watch their DVR'd games at home and they loved it. I even had a guy who was going to France to play basketball professionally and he wanted to watch his NBA channel back at home. It works very well.

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Fuck the Geek Squad. They don't know their face from their asses. I can tell you 100's a stories once I get back into the state from Australia in a week. They started in Minneapolis and they don't know shit.

8. Giroldo am I?

Giroldo am I? 420 l sublime l c2d l BMW l botany l MA l night cr

i didnt know the slingbox was capable of that much!

9. Poundin Mounds

Poundin Mounds New Member

I have one, so I can watch Cardinals mainly, but great cause I can keep up on STL when at school.

works awesome

10. doubledave

doubledave New Member

I use a slingbox now. Before I tried services that run on the computer with a tuner card such as orb, and before that manually setting up windows media encoder (free from M$). Both use a lot of CPU power on a computer that already has a powerful CPU. But the slingbox doesn't get any warmer when in used no matter what quality setting is used. And it dynamically adjusts the quality to match the bitrate of the available network connection. High quality when watching on a local LAN, not as much so over the internet mainly due to the 768kbps upload limit of my DSL modem, but still full 30fps video not too bad looking when I want to watch something at work from my satellite box at home. The on-screen remote controls an infrared remote sender that you place in front of you DVR, cable box, or satellite box at home to control them from the computer you are watching from.

Highly recommended. Also, love the new features of version 2 of the player software, beta currently available to the public in US for Windows. They have a program guide that you just click the name of the show that is on that you want to watch, and it tunes to it, and it has DVR-like pause live TV and rewind/FF throughout up to an hour buffer.

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

a guy i used to work with always talked about his slingbox. he once had to go to india for a few months for work and said it was a life saver.

12. luvstar99

luvstar99 OT Supporter

I have my Slingbox hooked up to my Fios tv and Tivo. Its a must have if you don't like missing shows/games while being away from home. One of the best gadgets ever.

13. 2+2=5

2+2=5 OT Supporter

i've seen adds on CL for people living aboard willing to pay decent coin to have access to local network sports - scam right?

14. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Can you watch it live, or is it just playing back what you have saved on the DVR?