Anyone use weightwatches and kept the weight off?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Paulie Walnuts, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Thinking about signing up after Thanksgiving.

2. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

If you wanna senselessly put money down the toilet then just give it to me.

Otherwise, follow a basic diet/exercise regimine and get the same, if not better results for MUCH cheaper.

3. ericande

ericande Active Member

Not sure what weightwatchers is good for besides motivation if you need it. Keep a log on here. I'm sure people will call you when you slip. Weightwatchers just boils down to calories in < calories out, just a different way to track it.

4. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

weight watchers actually helps people understanding calorie counting and the value of fiber in their diet without counting calories. Kinda of funny, but it works for people.

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Eh, I suppose....

However, the same information could be found by spending an hour on the internet reading articles or fitness magazines.

I've taken one nutrition class in my entire college career, but read a lot on the subject, talk to you guys here, and read magazine and I know more than 99% of personal trainers I have encountered with B-S degrees.

Just seems silly to pay a commercialized company money to give you information you could easily find with a little know-how and research.

I suppose all things have their place... I don't doubt its affectiveness, but just its actual value.

6. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

I honestly understand what you are saying but weight watchers puts things in even simpler terms, for those who don't want to fully read up on nutrition (even though they should)

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Fair enough.

It's their money.

8. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

I've developed a "better" weightwatchers plan. The problem with weight watchers is that the formula is based on all fat being bad, and it really doesn't take anything else into account. My formula + plan builds a point system around protein value, carbs, good fat, bad fat, calories, and the maximum rate of protein. I'll post calcs + point value db (~50k foods - raw + Restaurants) + paper in probably 2-3 weeks.

9. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

well ok then

10. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

That plan sounds like Deal-a-meal ... that makes macistaniMac F+N's own Richard Simmons.

11. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

I just need something structured and something that calculates things out for me thats all. The online for 3 months is only $60 so I think Im going to do that and make my own system up as I go along.

12. Plan B

Plan B New Member

GIve me $50 I'll sell you a scale, give you an account on fitday, and keep the change.

13. :|

:| Guest

join curves

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Weird. I was just eating a Lean Cuisine thinking about this same thing.

If you've got the $$ and not a lot of time to 'worry' about what to eat and when to prepare it (which is usually BS but my brother works 80 hour weeks so I've seen first hand how it can be true), then I don't see a problem with it.

You're getting good meals in and it's pretty well structured.

I wouldn't do it, but if you've got the rirght resources and constraints then go for it.

15. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

They also lay out a meal plan and direct people to the type of foods they should eat. People are willing to pay to have a strict plan to follow.

16. Plan B

Plan B New Member

I'll give them a strict plan to follow, for a 1/4 of the price.

But it's up to them to follow it :rofl:

17. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

It was a comment on this : "the same information could be found by spending an hour on the internet reading articles or fitness magazines".

18. Plan B

Plan B New Member

:wavey:

I only read parts of threads :o

19. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

food tastes like shit.

20. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

All those weight watchers point stuff is just translated calories.

Quite simple, but there is science behind it, and if they are eating below their maintenance level how can't they lose weight.

21. Lokish

Lokish New Member

If you want something easy to follow that tells you how much to eat and how often combined with a workout plan then go to www.kinetixliving.com. Least there you also get to learn how to make some modified recipes around the idea of a balanced plan (40/40/20 which is p/c/f).

Personally, I think that people need to learn to eat healthy on their own and incorporate some kind of workout plan in their daily routine. Problem with pre-cut plans is that they don't teach you how to use your own common sense and you end up relying on their system too much. Just my opinion though.

22. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

It is a good thing if you don't mind spending the money.

23. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

i agree. After several months of monitoring my calorie intake (for weight gaining purposes) i have just noticed that i have a rough idea of the type of nutrition in all the foods i eat, and can just do a running total in your head. Trying to stay at 40:40:20 PFC shows you what is high in carbs, and after 6 months you have the important ability to monitor your own maintenance level and diet, and not need to rely on the expensive diet plans.

24. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

Weight Watchers is a great program for the average joe/jane crowd. It provides benefits along the same lines as a personal trainer would in the gym; (much like our training log section) WW keeps you accountable to someone other than yourself, giving you extra motivation for your weigh in each week.

I think it's a great program, but in regards to keeping the weight off for the future...hopefully by the time you have reached your goals with WW you've developed some proper eating habits and a solid exercise routine. You're probably less likely to fluctuate in weight after a WW program than you are after something like Atkins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.