Anyone use Verizon Wireless?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I use the same thing with Sprint when I travel. Sprint is faster than Verizon when it comes to data throughput, so if Sprint has EVDO in your area, I'd recommend going with them, instead.

But yea, it's pretty cool. Latency is a bitch, tho -- about 500-700ms -- so it's not a home-connection replacement if you can get DSL at your residence.

btw, with sprint I'll get anywhere from 700Kbps to 3Mbps. Verizon gets 300Kbps-1Mbps, iirc.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Well, I have a 1 year contract with Verizon I'm not using, so hopefully it can xfer.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i dont think you can, but give it a try. I asked Sprint if I could buy the equip full price and do no-contract and they told me no. I still don't believe them... But it comes down to not what's in writing, but what the stupid reps will do.

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I use the Verizon EVDO service at home because broadband is not offered at my location. I have the USB modem which is Rev. A capable. Speeds range from 800kbps - 1.5 mbps, while latency is surprisingly low, clocking in around 80ms - 150 ms. Overall I am very pleased with the speed and quality of the connection. I am even able to use ICS and connect my Xbox 360 up to the laptop and play Halo 3 with minimal lag issues.:naughty:

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my brother in law has a verizon wireless pcmcia card in his laptop. it sucks. he gets roughly double the speed of dialup at best, maybe 14kbps. his upload speed is even worse
    and only $60 a month :ugh2:

i believe they have 2 options for him, one is dialup speed and the other is supposed to be broadband speed. i think the dialup speed is called quick2net or something. he never uses that, as it is even slower

the software included with the card is buggy as hell. he's just converted to opening up a connection and dialing #777 to establish a connection
    i guess it all depends on location. he will get disconnected several times a day, even though his laptop stays in the same office all the time. verizon hasn't helped
    if he brings home the laptop, he gets around the same speeds. i've never really seen it go above 16kbps

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Check his coverage. It sounds like he's not in EVDO territory -- but has to use the older, slower dial-up-like 1xRTT. I like that sprint is cheaper per month.

This is true of all services. Their connection manager software always sucks. I use #777 as well, for sprint. Also works in Linux, that way. As far as connection dropping, that will happen if you've got poor signal, and it'll hop between cells/nodes. This will cause the connection to drop sometimes.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm in Atlanta, there should be EVDO?

The thing is, I'm only gonna do it if I can xfer my account.

9. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The whole of Atlanta is Purple.