Anyone use news groups here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

My friend says this shit is the bomb. I can't get a hold of him (I wouldn't be posting this if I could) so I ask here.

Google is not my friend as I don't know wtf I'm looking at.

2. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

3. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

4. mattATX

mattATX OT Supporter

yea unless you use your cable provider which probably sux

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I'm assuming so since it's Comcast.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

What does usenet via e.g. power usenet require in terms of connectivity? Ports?

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Be careful with this topic.

Keep it clean, gents.

8. GQ

GQ OT Supporter

comcast does have newsgroups provided with your normal service, i'd suggest going to your provider's area homepage for specifications. however their retention period (age of downloads available) is very short and the download speed will not be more than 1mbps.

there are newsgroups providers however that are very reasonably priced that you can pay for when you need to use them without having to have a regular subscription all 12 months out of the year.

www.usenetserver.com
    www.giganews.com

however you will have to obtain some sort of newsgroup software to interact with servers.

http://www.newsbin.com/

you should find more than enough information on the FAQ's of those sites to help you setup and use their services.

9. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

That's what I said too until my first full month of service. I haven't looked back in over 2 years now. Well worth the price for the amount of stuff you can get.

10. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

In addition to what GQ said about giganews and newsbin, I would also recommend a website called newzbin. It is an indexing service so you just click on a link instead of trying to find all of the pieces of a file. I know there are free sites that do this as well but newzbin keeps very up to date and has pretty much everything you can find in the raw servers. And when it is on sale during the Christmas time (half price) it is like 25 cents a week.

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

comcast doesn't provide news service anymore. they just killed it a couple weeks ago. it was a 2gb monthly limit anyway. they suck.

http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Does_Comcast_offer_a_newsgroups_service

12. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

as an alternative, i prefer rapidshare premium account.

pay about $7/month (with potential to get your subscription for free), get 4meg/s+ download speed, plenty of forums dedicated to links, plenty of content, i think it's 10gig/day but if you don't use a day, it rolls over to the next day for a total of 50gig saved. i never download that much, but maybe it's a problem for some.

they're currently having issues with german law, so i wouldn't get a very long subscription at the moment.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Thanks for the info my ngas. :h5:

I've used RS so much, I <3 it. I'm about to buy another sub with RS but then found out about newgroups.

14. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

With RS, you want to buy 1 month at a time and you get 8000 points. Then you renew it 2 more times and get 1000 points each. Then you can turn in your points for a new account. When you do this, don't extend, create a new account so you get the 8000 points again..... and repeat. The only bad thing about creating a new account rather than renewing is that your uploads (if you have any) will be deleted after a certain time if noone downloads them.

I have been using premium RS for about a year. They very every once in awhile form 5GB/day to 10GB/day. In all honesty, I wish it was unlimited so I wouldn't have to limit my daily usage but its better than most alternatives.

15. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

www.Easynews.com

Price
    • Easynews Big Gig: $29.94 for 150 Gigabytes or 30 days, which ever comes first and up to 203 days of retention.
    • Easynews Plus: $14.97 for 30 Gigabytes or 30 days, which ever comes first and up to 203 days of retention.
    • Easynews Classic: $9.98 for 20 Gigabytes or 30 days, which ever comes first and up to 100 days of retention.
    • Roll-Over Gigs: Your unused bytes are rolled-over into your next billing cycle.
    • Loyalty: Receive additional Gigs per purchase for every year of your continued subscription.
      • 12 Gigabytes for our Big Gig account
      • 2 Gigabytes for our PLUS account
      • 1 Gigabyte for our Classic account

16. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Free Trial: You qualify for Power Usenet's free 10GB trial. Your account will not be billed until the end of the 5 day trial or until you activate your full account by logging on to the Power Usenet website.

Just signed up.

17. OFI

OFI New Member

18. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

omfg so fast.

My friend hooked me up with a newzbin account and newleecher is the jam.

:coold:

19. OFI

OFI New Member

I need to try out Newsbin :x:

New version of Newsleecher is pretty fucking good sorting out my PARs and shit for me automagically

20. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

You have no invites available to use at this time. Invites are automatically handed out at intervals - please wait for some more.

21. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

any chance of getting a trial so i can see if it works with my connection?