ANyone use Linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Claydus, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

I am having trouble using the browser in Suse 8.2. I don't have a proxy but I have automatic config script but i don't know where to put that at in linux. Everything else i have set as DHCP, PPPOE, and etc. Help?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

What browser are you using?

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

on it right now..

Working pretty good. I have decided to try to make an effort and use it a lot more than Windows.. We'll see how that goes. I am using RedHat 9.0

4. Penguin Man

Heh, after using Linux for a while, you'll wonder why you ever used Windows. I can't stand using Windows anymore (well, now at least... I never really used Windows actually). It makes me want to kill something.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

are you sure it's your browser? can you ping yahoo.com or any host? maybe your internet connection isn't set up correctly.

6. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

The only advantage I like about Windows is drivers, so easy for drivers.

7. Penguin Man

:dunno: I've never really run into problems on Linux... In fact, I'm the only one in the house (1 Linux, 2 Mac OSX, 1 MacOS 9, 1 Windows) that can scan from our HP OfficeJet over the network (something HP claims is impossible :big grin:).

8. Zourn

Well, like my laptop has some other drivers than the ones in the kernel that you are supposed to load for the PCMCIA slot, which if I use locks up my keyboard completely(not even a response from ctrl-alt-backspace). GAIM came with the distro and I ended up finding a MSN Messenger. oh yeah, and compiling things from the terminal still confuses me, I completely follow the directions to the letter and it tells me I am doing shit wrong.

EDIT: How in the hell did you get that Officejet to do that?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  9. MP

MP New Member

Redhat is cool. My next project is to set up a 200+gb jukebox (file server) so i can back up all my computers and crap.

10. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

That's cool. I am looking to make a streaming video and music server so I can watch some things along with listen to some music from work.

I got to find a good program that will do that. I was looking at the real player/server thing..

Anybody have ideas?

11. Penguin Man

Hm, yea the PCMCIA problem I can understand, I think the laptop end of things are a little less developed thusfar. Anyway, I use AYTTM (formerly Everybuddy) for AIM/MSN/ICQ/Yahoo, it's pretty good. Compiling is just something you have to get used to, generally you just run the configure script, then do make and make install. Once you've done it enough times, it's pretty easy.

As for the OfficeJet, some guy who works at HP developed drivers for it (http://hpoj.sourceforge.net)... Pretty cool, too bad HP is too fucking lazy to implement what's always been written ;)

12. Zourn

My problem is that sometimes when I untar something and get in it's dir as root, then type ./configure it tells me command not found. And I really can't get xine to install, I ./configure, make, make install for the xine-lib then whenever I ./configure the xine-ui it tells me I haven't installed the xine-lib yet. any clue?

13. dexedrine

dexedrine Guest

PCMCIA isn't too bad anymore with a newer kernel. You just need to make sure that there are drivers for it either built in or downloadable.

Actually, I'm posting from my Archlinux laptop. w00t.

14. Penguin Man

Hm, I think I had trouble compiling xine originally too... It's a library problem I think, write into the mailing lists (or browse the archives), they tend to be very good.

As for the ./configure not working, it could be a permissions problem... Check that the configure script is executable by your use (ls -l will display the neccessary information). If that doesn't solve it, once again check the mailing list ;)