Anyone use LaunchBar?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IcyHot4Life, Jul 1, 2004.

1. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I swear by this program; it has literally changed the way I work on my Mac. I'm going to try to explain it below, but you just have to use it to understand; it's incredible. If you hate taking your hands off the keyboard to open things or navigate through folders, check this out, you won't be sorry.

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/

The premise is that you give LaunchBar folders with stuff you access a lot (applications, certain document folders, etc.) and it catalogues them in its own index. To use it, you hit apple-space on the keyboard and type in an abbreviated form of the name of what you're looking for: e.g. Internet Explorer becomes "IE", Mail is short enough to be "Mail", Photoshop 7 becomes "P7". As you type in the abbreviation, LB narrows down what it thinks you're looking for and highlights it. Hit enter, and it launches it. This program has eliminated most of the dock icons I used to keep in there because I can have an app open with LB faster than I can take my hand off the keyboard and put it on the mouse. :coold:

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

that only scratches the surface of what LB v4 can do though, I don't even know the advanced features yet (using v2 at home). There is a free v4 beta for download at that site, fully functional until the end of july I think. Lemme know how you like it!

3. Auream

Auream New Member

Yeah, it looks cool, but I think Spotlight in 10.4 will replace 98% of its functionality, plus have a host of other cool features.

4. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

You should try QuickSilver, it's better implementation.

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

what's it like?