Anyone use iPhoto?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Jan 28, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm just getting into using iPhoto for my best of the best pictures. I'm adding keywords for easy searching, but I'm starting to drive myself crazy trying to find a good keyword system for myself.

Anyone else use iPhoto and keywords? What 'practices' do you use when keywording your photos? I have a few specific questions to get a better idea of how to do things, but I wanna see if we have some serious iPhoto users in the Mac crew.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Adobe Lightroom

keywords suck anyway you look at it, they are time consuming.
    I just organize by date and album title.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

Lightroom is :bowdown:

don't know what I did before it. aperture is :greddy:

4. B7R

B7R New NASCAR Fan

Due to this thread I decided to give lightroom a go. I like.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

read the sticky in A&P

6. 3DimesDown

3DimesDown New Member

7. 98dirtybird

98dirtybird OT Supporter

The only apple product i use is iPhight

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

Why do they suck? If you have a ton of photos, how the hell do you find what you're looking for?

Just played with Lightroom. Seems nice, but extra busy. It would suck entering metadata tags for every photo. Is there any way to import an existing iPhoto library into Lightroom?

iPhoto seems basic, but it does what I need it to. And iPhoto's slideshows are a LOT nicer than Lightrooms. BUT it seems like printing and web gallery making is a lot better in Lightroom.

Now I'm totally torn on which to use. I'm going to watch the videos on Adobe's site and hopefully that will help.

9. mojito

mojito New Member

you can apply all kinds of shit at import into lightroom and yes you can import anything except network drives. You can move it or import from existing location.

The idea here is not only is it a powerful tool just for photos, a DAM (Digital Asset Management), but also edits everything (RAW, jpeg, tiff, PSD . . .) with metadata updates, so no image degradation. That is huge, PS can't even do that. It also stores unlimited amount of history, for as long as its in the library, so again unlike PS which loses it when you close the image.

10. verbal

verbal Active Member

I also like to sync some albums to my ipod. Nice to be able to show pics anywhere.

I really like what Lightroom offers. I just wish I could use both somehow, but I don't have time for that.

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I told you already, they are organized by date and event, so 99% of time time i remember approximately how long ago i took it or where i took it, so its pretty easy to find.

Not really...Lightroom can do slideshows at any resolution up to your screen side, iphoto is limited to DVD quality, which sucks ass for pictures.