WEB Anyone use Google Apps as their email server?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Vatoloco, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

I struck out on asking in the main forum, so thought I would give it a try here.

I've started using the Google Apps standard edition but I'm still interested in keeping Outlook. I know they have a sync option if you sign up for premier but I'm not sure I want to pay the $50/year for every user account I add.

From a little searching, I've found CompanionLink for Google which will sync calendars and contacts (and tasks, but in a cheesy way). It won't sync the e-mail so I would just have to use IMAP in outlook... but is that the way it works with the official sync tool when you sign up for premier anyways?

:dunno: Just trying to get some opinions and experiences from others who've used Google Apps.

2. rolandal

rolandal New Member

I've switched everything over to gmail google apps now. Its so nice knowing everything is safe in the cloud.

Just takes a little getting used to. Its wonderful because it syncs with my iPhone, and the contacts as well.

$50/yr is nothing really, its just that as it becomes more expensive the more users you add :/

Not sure about the sync tool though!

3. Vatoloco

Exactly. I would have no problem paying the $50 for my main email account, but with the standard version you get up to 50 users for free and you lose that if you go premium. If you could mix standard and premium, I wouldn't hesitate to sign up.

4. Vatoloco

You're using the official Google Apps Sync program? Do you use it with outlook at all or just windows mobile?

5. ROFL

ROFL New Member

I use the free version, IMAP for emails and use their calendar sync for calendar entries. My phone also has a program to sync tasks and calendar entries.

6. Vatoloco

Well, I've went the standard route and used the email uploader tool to migrate all my existing mail from outlook to google... and using Outlook with imap. I didn't realize I would lose so much functionality in Outlook though. With an IMAP account, you can't flag a message to follow up for a specific day, you can't assign categories to messages, and the search index doesn't work very well outside the inbox since only headers are downloaded.

Oh well, I'll get use to it. It's worth it to finally have everything in the cloud. It's great to be able to jump on gmail and have full access to everything no matter where I am.

I still haven't got to upping my calendar, contacts and tasks yet but I plan to use CompanionLink to sync those. I'll report back on how well it works when I finally get it done.